Elsmok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Mainly in paper 2 where it asks you to write algorithms based on the situation it gives you, do you HAVE to used pseudocode or can you use any other language?
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pseudocode isn't a programming language.
Elsmok
Rep:
?
sometimes the question asks you to use pseudocode, my question is do i always have to use it or only when the question asks
(Original post by Routeri)
pseudocode isn't a programming language.
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes you always use it even if the question doesn't specifically say using pseudocode
(Original post by Elsmok)
sometimes the question asks you to use pseudocode, my question is do i always have to use it or only when the question asks
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Pseudocode" doesn't have any strictly defined meaning. When you are asked to write pseudocode, it means that you are being asked to write something which resembles a programming language. The exact syntax that you use isn't important - you can make it up as you go along as long as whatever you've written is clearly and unambiguously able to be interpreted in terms of common programming constructs like Variables, IF/ELSE, FOR/WHILE/REPEAT/DO/UNTIL, BEGIN/END, Subroutines/Functions, etc.

The examiner is interested in looking for evidence that you are able to describe algorithms in terms which could be written directly into any real programming language like Python/Java/VB.NET/C#/etc. So if your answer somewhat resembles the syntax or grammar of VB.NET or Python rather than the exam board's pseudocode standard then that is just fine. Things like indentation and the structure of the code you write are important so that it's easily readable by whoever is marking your answers -- it needs to be clear to them.

The reason why the exam boards define their own pseudocode standard is so that questions written by the exam board are consistent and unambiguous - i.e. you need to be able to read and understand the exam board's pseudocode, but you don't need to remember how to write it.
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 year ago
Elsmok
Rep:
?
Thanks!
(Original post by winterscoming)
"Pseudocode" doesn't have any strictly defined meaning. When you are asked to write pseudocode, it means that you are being asked to write something which resembles a programming language. The exact syntax that you use isn't important - you can make it up as you go along as long as whatever you've written is clearly and unambiguously able to be interpreted in terms of common programming constructs like Variables, IF/ELSE, FOR/WHILE/REPEAT/DO/UNTIL, BEGIN/END, Subroutines/Functions, etc.

The examiner is interested in looking for evidence that you are able to describe algorithms in terms which could be written directly into any real programming language like Python/Java/VB.NET/C#/etc. So if your answer somewhat resembles the syntax or grammar of VB.NET or Python rather than the exam board's pseudocode standard then that is just fine. Things like indentation and the structure of the code you write are important so that it's easily readable by whoever is marking your answers -- it needs to be clear to them.

The reason why the exam boards define their own pseudocode standard is so that questions written by the exam board are consistent and unambiguous - i.e. you need to be able to read and understand the exam board's pseudocode, but you don't need to remember how to write it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.46%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (25)
10.25%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.74%

Watched Threads