The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually enjoy being a teacher?

I'm considering training to become a primary school teacher. I have four children (all 6 and under) so education has been a huge focus in my life recently. I've even homeschooled temporarily due to lack of school places and we absolutely loved it!
I've been researching the job and completely understand that it's not 9-3 hours with "loads" of holiday, but... is it really as bad as people are saying?
The government sponsored ads keep popping up on Facebook and Instagram and it's really off putting. Loads of comments are from teachers warning people not to do it, saying how overworked and underpaid they are. Many are desperate to leave the profession.
Is it possible to have any work/life balance?
I wouldn't be going into it until my kids are older. I've been fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with them for the last 4 years. In 5 years time they won't need me as much as they do now and I won't have to juggle the job whilst pregnant or with a very young baby.

Has anyone got anything positive to say? Feeling really demotivated and sad for the children that no one wants to be a teacher anymore (or so the internet would have you believe).

:frown:
If you choose your school wisely, then it's possible to have a great experience. Unfortunately, there are many awful schools where the management insist on unreasonable extra administration to ensure results are up from previous year. These schools tend to have teachers going off with stress and cracking under pressure. Avoid and you'll have a great career. The question is how do you tell a good from bad work culture when you're only observing for a few days? Try and speak to teachers and ask them exactly what they have to do day to day.
It's only ever worth it if you really really have an affinity for working with children, and will get a lot out of that. Because you wont be getting very good pay, nor very good working hours. It's pretty bad for those just wanting to work another job, but it can be tolerable or even enjoyable if you love children and find a good school.

My mother has been a supply teacher on and off, and it depends very much on the school. That said, when she's been working the thought of having to go teach tomorrow has literally given her palpitations. And she's good with children.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Personally I loved the job! I had amazing students and honestly it was the most joyful and rewarding experience of my life. I also appreciate how lucky I was to have a good school and good managers (extremely rare speaking to friends in the profession!!) I have only left to do my PhD and would love to return one day.
When you look at opinions on a free forum, where the get into teaching adverts usually are, people are more likely to submit a post containing their personal view if they feel more strongly about the subject. People who feel more strongly, therefore make more posts and this then appears to the reader that the majority of people posses those views. I am not saying every teacher enjoys their job, however, would you be able to say that about any profession?

I enjoy it very much. It really is down to the person you are. If you are thinking about it then I advise that you get some experience in a school to see what goes on behind 9-3. Teaching is an amazing job. You do much more than teach, you nurture, counsel, parent and care amongst many other things. If you decide to go for it, good luck and enjoy it.
Reply 5
Original post by redrosehanna
I'm considering training to become a primary school teacher. I have four children (all 6 and under) so education has been a huge focus in my life recently. I've even homeschooled temporarily due to lack of school places and we absolutely loved it!
I've been researching the job and completely understand that it's not 9-3 hours with "loads" of holiday, but... is it really as bad as people are saying?
The government sponsored ads keep popping up on Facebook and Instagram and it's really off putting. Loads of comments are from teachers warning people not to do it, saying how overworked and underpaid they are. Many are desperate to leave the profession.
Is it possible to have any work/life balance?
I wouldn't be going into it until my kids are older. I've been fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with them for the last 4 years. In 5 years time they won't need me as much as they do now and I won't have to juggle the job whilst pregnant or with a very young baby.

Has anyone got anything positive to say? Feeling really demotivated and sad for the children that no one wants to be a teacher anymore (or so the internet would have you believe).

:frown:

Sorry i don't. I quit this so called 'profession' . Ridiculous work load ,poor pay, high levels of stress, poor often egotistical leaders, no time to stop and think..... The only positive thing i can think of is that some students are delightful and still grateful if they bump into you after they have left school. I would wager a bet that you don't receive government sponsored ads encouraging you to become a lawyer! Why ? because that is a true profession, generally well paid and in demand; unlike teaching.
Reply 6
Original post by bwilliams
When you look at opinions on a free forum, where the get into teaching adverts usually are, people are more likely to submit a post containing their personal view if they feel more strongly about the subject. People who feel more strongly, therefore make more posts and this then appears to the reader that the majority of people posses those views. I am not saying every teacher enjoys their job, however, would you be able to say that about any profession?

I enjoy it very much. It really is down to the person you are. If you are thinking about it then I advise that you get some experience in a school to see what goes on behind 9-3. Teaching is an amazing job. You do much more than teach, you nurture, counsel, parent and care amongst many other things. If you decide to go for it, good luck and enjoy it.

I would respectfully disagree with you. The morale of teachers is at an all time low and for good reasons. I don't believe it is down to the person that you are! The entire system of how teachers are treated needs overhauling urgently. There is a reason why this so called profession is struggling to recruit teachers- stress, workload, poor leadership, poor pay. Avoid!
Original post by mgi
I would respectfully disagree with you. The morale of teachers is at an all time low and for good reasons. I don't believe it is down to the person that you are! The entire system of how teachers are treated needs overhauling urgently. There is a reason why this so called profession is struggling to recruit teachers- stress, workload, poor leadership, poor pay. Avoid!

Please don't tell people to avoid teaching - it is this negative label that builds tension. If you feel that way then express that opinion but diminishing another persons ambition is wrong. Many teachers love their job. Of course it is down to the person that you are. If I was a plumber I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much because it is not for me.
Reply 8
Original post by bwilliams
Please don't tell people to avoid teaching - it is this negative label that builds tension. If you feel that way then express that opinion but diminishing another persons ambition is wrong. Many teachers love their job. Of course it is down to the person that you are. If I was a plumber I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much because it is not for me.

Ok. Ask all the teachers you know now who are teaching in a secondary without about 20 lessons a week to teach etc.whether they enjoy their jobs or not. I would be amazed if more than 20% said yes! Many will say that they like teaching but will add the caveat that they hate the job. I don't think the general public, especially parents, have the faintest idea what it takes to teach their children. Plus there is the brainwashing spewed out by successive governments about 'raising standards ' and 'more outstanding schools 'etc. Parents buy into this nonsense.The workload and pressures on teachers is ridiculous. People are now voting with their feet and hence the recruitment crisis. If you are a full time teacher and you think that teaching is a wonderful career,; good for you. Stay in it. Why change. But you are in a minority! Avoid being a teacher people.
Reply 9
Only a masochist. I have no fewer than six friends that left teaching in their first four years.

Quick Reply