The Student Room Group

Why are the noble gases all gases?

Hi, I was wondering why the noble gases are all gases, I understand that they're very unreactive, but is there a reason their boiling points are all so low?
Like simple covalent bonds are often gases because of their weak intermolcular forces? Is this similar with the noble gases?
Reply 1
Original post by rohanodo
Hi, I was wondering why the noble gases are all gases, I understand that they're very unreactive, but is there a reason their boiling points are all so low?
Like simple covalent bonds are often gases because of their weak intermolcular forces? Is this similar with the noble gases?

They are only gases at RTP.
If you lower the T, the intermolecular (you can consider them as monoatomic molecules) forces can be stronger than the kinetic energy separating them.
They can only form really weak IMF, so it doesn't take much energy to overcome them.
Noble gases are very stable. They undergo almost no reaction. This stability is due to the octet structure of its electrons. Once an atom has an octet structure, it has no need for bonding or electron sharing because it is already stable and happy with it's current state. If it were to have a bond, it can bring in different types of IMF (intermolecular forces) such as temporary and permanant dipole-dipole forces. These IMFs decide the state of a substance at RTP. Noble gases do not bond with anything, neither does it bond with itself, so the IMF is very weak, thus a gas.

Visit RevisePro for more Science resources

Original post by rohanodo

Quick Reply

Latest