The Student Room Group

Tracing Equity

Question:
1. Serena is a trustee of the Lockwood family trust. In October 2016, Serena withdrew £40,000 from the trust fund and paid it into her own personal bank account. At the time of the transfer, Serena had £10,000 in her account. Serena was hoping to make a quick profit and pay the money back to the trust before anyone found out about the transfer and so she invested £25,000 in shares in Buzzfeed Ltd a company that she has been given a ‘hot tip’ on by a colleague.

Serena then transferred the remaining £25,000 in her account to her boyfriend, Tony. When Tony asked where it had come from, she told him to “Stop asking so many questions, just spend it as quickly as you can.” Tony spent £15,000 on a luxury city break to Monaco and bought a second hand car with the remaining £10,000.

Serena has recently been declared bankrupt. The tip about the shares in Buzzfeed Ltd had paid off and the shares have since increased in value to £35,000.

Advise the beneficiaries of the Lockwood family trust as to what remedies and actions are available to them.

In terms of equitable tracing:
1.There have been a mixed of Laura's and the trust funds.
Although under either Re Hallet or Re Oatway the amount of £25,000 will be recovered, Re Oatway would be preferred as the Beneficiary can claim the increase of 35,000 in shares.

However I am confused in regards to the remaining

Am I to trace this through the third parties account?

So again Re Oatway, Tony is deemed to have spent the trust money first thus recovering the £15,000

Or is there a different rule for this?
The £15K and £10K has gone to a bona fide purchaser of the legal estate without notice so equitable proprietary claims against them will fail. You have the car for a possible proprietary claim so long as you use authority to show that it was purchased with the trust money. Personal claim for the remainder of the trust money against Tony? The response “Stop asking so many questions, just spend it as quickly as you can” would seem to be pointing you in this direction.

Amanda Grant a.k.a BiteSizeLaw (private property tutor - LinkedIn)
Original post by arshrxa
Question:
1. Serena is a trustee of the Lockwood family trust. In October 2016, Serena withdrew £40,000 from the trust fund and paid it into her own personal bank account. At the time of the transfer, Serena had £10,000 in her account. Serena was hoping to make a quick profit and pay the money back to the trust before anyone found out about the transfer and so she invested £25,000 in shares in Buzzfeed Ltd a company that she has been given a ‘hot tip’ on by a colleague.

Serena then transferred the remaining £25,000 in her account to her boyfriend, Tony. When Tony asked where it had come from, she told him to “Stop asking so many questions, just spend it as quickly as you can.” Tony spent £15,000 on a luxury city break to Monaco and bought a second hand car with the remaining £10,000.

Serena has recently been declared bankrupt. The tip about the shares in Buzzfeed Ltd had paid off and the shares have since increased in value to £35,000.

Advise the beneficiaries of the Lockwood family trust as to what remedies and actions are available to them.

In terms of equitable tracing:
1.There have been a mixed of Laura's and the trust funds.
Although under either Re Hallet or Re Oatway the amount of £25,000 will be recovered, Re Oatway would be preferred as the Beneficiary can claim the increase of 35,000 in shares.

However I am confused in regards to the remaining

Am I to trace this through the third parties account?

So again Re Oatway, Tony is deemed to have spent the trust money first thus recovering the £15,000

Or is there a different rule for this?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for replying!

Since Tony owns the car, if he is the BNF no proprietary claim would be valid against him.

I do however think the fact that the car is in the scenario it is meant to be traced..
Wouldn't it be more likely on the basis that he is an "innocent volunteer", a proprietary claim can still be made against him? (Re Diplock)
I'm not sure what a 'BNF' is so I don't understand why you can't make a proprietary claim for the car. If the car was purchased with trust money; what defence do you think Tony has?

Innocent???? (!)

Original post by arshrxa
Hi, thanks for replying!

Since Tony owns the car, if he is the BNF no proprietary claim would be valid against him.

I do however think the fact that the car is in the scenario it is meant to be traced..
Wouldn't it be more likely on the basis that he is an "innocent volunteer", a proprietary claim can still be made against him? (Re Diplock)
Reply 4
If Tony is a Bona Fide Purchaser...
1. no proprietary claim can be made for the car (where equity's are equal,t he law will prevail) therefore legal title of the car will prevail
2. If it's established he is a bona fide purchaser, and indeed acted in good faith, it wouldn't make sense to bring a claim against him under third party liability

Also an innocent volunteer is one part of the law that states if trust money is mixed and then transferred to a third party, the beneficiary still has a right in the property (Re Diplock)
so on this basis..
1. Car can be claimed back
2. Remaining £15,000 can be recovered by a personal claim by stranger liability

..I think this is right?
Original post by Bitesizelaw
I'm not sure what a 'BNF' is so I don't understand why you can't make a proprietary claim for the car. If the car was purchased with trust money; what defence do you think Tony has?

Innocent???? (!)
Tony can't be both a purchaser and a volunteer. Where is the mixing of property with the car?

Also, how can Tony be an innocent volunteer and personally liable as a third party under 'stranger liability'? If you contradict yourself like this; you will get a low grade.

Try this: (1) Decide on the status of Tony. If there is no doubt; stick with it and don't contradict yourself. (2) Read the headnote to Re Diplock to ensure that you have understood it fully.

Students believe that 'tracing' is an easy topic because they don't have to think too hard about the structure of their answer. However, to do it properly, you need to have a good grasp of all the cases and be able to make decisions about the facts. You also need to be able to explain the law in the cases fully and apply them correctly to the facts.

Here's what you wrote. I have added some comments

'If Tony is a Bona Fide Purchaser...
1. no proprietary claim can be made for the car (where equity's are equal,t he law will prevail) therefore legal title of the car will prevail. If he is Equity's Darling, (and it's a big if) I agree that he would have an absolute defence. End of. However, he isn't a BFP.
2. If it's established he is a bona fide purchaser, (make a decision on this) and indeed acted in good faith, it wouldn't make sense to bring a claim against him under third party liability. Agreed! Indeed, the claim would fail IF he acted in good faith. However, he didn't act in good faith.

Also an innocent volunteer is one part of the law that states if trust money is mixed and then transferred to a third party, the beneficiary still has a right in the property (Re Diplock)
so on this basis..If (and again it's a big 'if') it has been mixed; how can the entire value of the car be claimed? However, the money hasn't been mixed.
2. Remaining £15,000 can be recovered by a personal claim by stranger liability' Agree, but to conclude that T is an innocent volunteer and then suggest that he could also be liable in a personal action for stranger liability is (sorry!) nonsense.

Amanda Grant a.k.a. BiteSizeLaw LinkedIn

Original post by arshrxa
If Tony is a Bona Fide Purchaser...
1. no proprietary claim can be made for the car (where equity's are equal,t he law will prevail) therefore legal title of the car will prevail
2. If it's established he is a bona fide purchaser, and indeed acted in good faith, it wouldn't make sense to bring a claim against him under third party liability

so on this basis..
1. Car can be claimed back
2. Remaining £15,000 can be recovered by a personal claim by stranger liability

..I think this is right?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending