Why doesn't English Liturature GCSE contain more modern texts? Watch

username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I really don't see the point in studying texts from hundreds of years ago. Why do we have to study Shakespeare? The texts aren't in "modern" English so most people will never have to read anything in that style n real life. The most modern text I studies was An Inspector Calls which was still over 73 years old.

Most people aren't interested in these old texts so are also put off reading because they aren't exposed to modern texts that might actually interest them more due to the more up-to-date language, settings and characters.

Why not give people an option for Modern Literature or Classic Literature to give people more of a choice of what to study?
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The degeneracy produced by many modern writers is no match for the bard himself...
username4538836
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
The degeneracy produced by many modern writers is no match for the bard himself...
Then just pick the texts that are a match for the bard himself...

Plus he isn't even that good. Most of his plots are extremely basic and just dull. Yes, they were good for the time they were written, but very few people are interested in his work. An Inspector Calls was much more interesting.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by theworld223)
Then just pick the texts that are a match for the bard himself...

Plus he isn't even that good. Most of his plots are extremely basic and just dull. Yes, they were good for the time they were written, but very few people are interested in his work. An Inspector Calls was much more interesting.
Blasphemy !!!

:mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob:

(on serious note - disagree strongly, maybe there could be a modern English subject, but tbh a English GCSE would not be English GCSE without Shakespeare himself in my humble opinion)
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
They're called 'classics' for a reason. I love the classics! They're amazing. You can't find anything that equals the beauty of Shakespeare from a modern writer.

People should not complain, shut up and learn to appreciate the classics (lol).
Last edited by Tolgarda; 5 months ago
username4538836
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
They're called 'classics' for a reason. I love the classics! They're amazing. You can't find anything that equals the beauty of Shakespeare from a modern writer.

People should not complain, shut up and learn to appreciate the classics (lol).
Making people like something is one of the main reasons why a lot of people don't like reading. People are forced for most of secondary school to read books that they simply aren't interested in, which can put them off reading for their entire life. Not everyone likes Shakespeare and would want to read it, let alone study it for years for an exam.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Making people like something is one of the main reasons why a lot of people don't like reading. People are forced for most of secondary school to read books that they simply aren't interested in, which can put them off reading for their entire life. Not everyone likes Shakespeare and would want to read it, let alone study it for years for an exam.
Nobody likes to work hard and appreciate classical literature. Everyone likes to be indolent and entitled. Oh well...
username4538836
Rep:
?
Nobody likes to work hard and appreciate classical literature. Everyone likes to be indolent and entitled. Oh well...
There is a big difference between wanting the option of more modern books and being indolent and entitled.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There is a big difference between wanting the option of more modern books and being indolent and entitled.
The classics offer a rigorous curriculum that furnishes the mind with literary tradition and culture.
username4633094
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I really don't see the point in studying texts from hundreds of years ago. Why do we have to study Shakespeare? The texts aren't in "modern" English so most people will never have to read anything in that style n real life. The most modern text I studies was An Inspector Calls which was still over 73 years old.

Most people aren't interested in these old texts so are also put off reading because they aren't exposed to modern texts that might actually interest them more due to the more up-to-date language, settings and characters.

Why not give people an option for Modern Literature or Classic Literature to give people more of a choice of what to study?
Technically, Shakespeare's language is classed as 'early modern English.' Modern English today is actually influenced a lot by Shakespeare. English Literature isn't just about studying books and analysing it. It also involves studying the history and development of literature over time. Shakespeare is a very important literary figure who influenced subsequent writers for generations. Therefore, it is important to study him on any English Literature course.
username4538836
Rep:
?
(Original post by Constantine02)
It also involves studying the history and development of literature over time.
Does it? Never heard anyone mention this being part of the course? Clearly the point of the texts chosen isn't getting across...
username4538836
Rep:
?
The classics offer a rigorous curriculum that furnishes the mind with literary tradition and culture.
Or enhances people's hate for the subject as they are forced to study ancient texts which have nothing to do to with their lives.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Does it? Never heard anyone mention this being part of the course? Clearly the point of the texts chosen isn't getting across...
You probably use or recognize language from Shakespeare all the time, without even realising it. Doesn't a little part of you want to know where it all comes from?
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Or enhances people's hate for the subject as they are forced to study ancient texts which have nothing to do to with their lives.
Only for the pupilss that are incapable of appreciating classical literature. For the rest, it's brilliant. Very few that I knew complained like toddlers. Instead, they got on and achieved good marks. The classics make for a demanding curriculum that doesn't allow ignorance of literary tradition and culture. Do you just want something easy? Lol.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 5 months ago
username4538836
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You probably use or recognize language from Shakespeare all the time, without even realising it. Doesn't a little part of you want to know where it all comes from?
Nope and even if I did English Lit definitely doesn't help me with knowing.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Nope and even if I did English Lit definitely doesn't help me with knowing.
Then I think that probably says more about you than the structure of the GCSE course.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Which texts would you like to study?
username4538836
Rep:
?
Only for the pupilss that are incapable of appreciating classical literature. For the rest, it's brilliant. Very few that I knew complained like toddlers. Instead, they got on and achieved good marks. The classics make for a demanding curriculum that doesn't allow ignorance of literary tradition and culture. Do you just want something easy? Lol.
Not everyone enjoys classical literature. English Lit GCSE doesn't allow the vast majority of people to know about literary tradition and culture so your point isn't really very useful.
Hazel Hallwell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i think it might be something to do with copyright, that's what my teacher said anyways
username4538836
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Then I think that probably says more about you than the structure of the GCSE course.
Go one, bring up some evidence of what you are talking around rather than insulting others (which is a really terrible way to try to prove your point).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads