The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Applying for Imperial Bursary

I'm a first year student at Imperial but I haven't applied for Imperial Bursary or a Maintenance Loan before.

I want to apply for Imperial Bursary for next year but I'm unsure how the process works. According to the Imperial website, you are automatically considered for the bursary if, based on the financial checks done by SFE, you are eligible for it.

What confuses me though is that SFE hasn't asked to check my financial information at all. I didn't apply for a maintenace loan last year, so that makes sense. But this year, even when I apply for a maintenance loan, SFE doesn't ask for any financial information.

Do I have to apply for an additional maintenace loan (the £7k one) to be eligible for the Imperial Bursary? I asked my mates and they said that SFE carried out financial checks on them last year despite not applying for an additional maintenace loan, but that's clearly not the case in my situation. If possible, I'd like to not have to take out an extra £4k to get the bursary.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah you have to apply for the means tested maintenance loan to qualify for the Imperial Bursary as far as I know. Tbh its worth it if you ask me, the bursary scheme is the most generous in the country and the extra money from sfe is pretty helpful given how expensive London is. I don't know why they do it like that, probably because it stops the College from having to carry out financial checks on its home students. You could contact the bursary team at the college to discuss if theres a way for you to access the bursary without going through sfe though, not sure if it would help but I suppose it can't hurt to try?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I went through a similar situation though I'm not actually a student at Imperial (but hoping to become one in September!). I didn't apply for a maintenance loan (which is why I had to do this in the first place).
I phoned up student finance and explained the situation to them and they told me what to do.
Not sure if the same will apply to you, but we had to fill out some financial forms before sending them to student finance. I think I might have had to create an account for my mum to 'support' my application but I can't quite remember.
Edit: This link may be useful http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/include-household-income-in-your-student-finance-application.aspx
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending