I am very demotivated for my chemistry exam Watch

katherine340
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am sitting Scottish Higher chemistry on Friday and basically I am very demotivated. I’ve been revising the whole day today and I can’t remember most of the things I did, which decreases my motivation even more. I need to get a B and I don’t know how I’m gonna do that.
I really struggle with the course itself and on top of that I hate chemistry this year. I got a C on my practice exam(prelim).

Thank you for taking your time to read this!
Would appreciate any advice!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hand write out post-it notes with the formulas, etc
Stick them on the wall above your desk

Chem is hard, but doable

Copying things out by hand scientifically helps you remember them
Writing ‘key things’ on small pieces of yellow, orange etc paper
ensures that you find the important facts

I remember a few years ago finding a user generated website, where a young kid had put all his stacks of chem post-its online, he got into Cambridge. His website was very helpful!

Try and find it, remember to take tea breaks & eat more nuts
CuriosityYay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Chem is hard
Citation needed
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maths is hardest, Physics is applied maths, Chemistry is applied physics

for a real quote, let’s try R.P. Feynman
‘You see that the name of this thing in the more complete form that will tell you the structure of it is 4-(2,2,3,6-tetramethyl-5-cyclohexenyl)-3-buten-2-one, and that tells you that this is the arrangement. We can appreciate the difficulties that the chemists have, and also appreciate the reason for such long names. It is not that they wish to be obscure, but they have an extremely difficult problem in trying to describe the molecules in words!’
CuriosityYay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Maths is hardest, Physics is applied maths, Chemistry is applied physics

for a real quote, let’s try R.P. Feynman
‘You see that the name of this thing in the more complete form that will tell you the structure of it is 4-(2,2,3,6-tetramethyl-5-cyclohexenyl)-3-buten-2-one, and that tells you that this is the arrangement. We can appreciate the difficulties that the chemists have, and also appreciate the reason for such long names. It is not that they wish to be obscure, but they have an extremely difficult problem in trying to describe the molecules in words!’
I am doing IAL.

Do you want me to draw you that molecule?
LeastWolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank god I'm not the only one. I'm here on tsr to avoid revising for higher chem as well, plus I've got english on wednesday. I need As in both. I'm not ready for either. Just starting makes me want to die, I look at a past paper and just zone out. It's awful.
katherine340
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeastWolf)
Thank god I'm not the only one. I'm here on tsr to avoid revising for higher chem as well, plus I've got english on wednesday. I need As in both. I'm not ready for either. Just starting makes me want to die, I look at a past paper and just zone out. It's awful.
I feel the same tbh. I look at past papers and I have to idea what the answer is. I really struggle with unit 1 and 3. My friends find periodicity very easy where as me I read it and repeat it over and over again and I still don’t know it.
Strelzo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by katherine340)
I am sitting Scottish Higher chemistry on Friday and basically I am very demotivated. I’ve been revising the whole day today and I can’t remember most of the things I did, which decreases my motivation even more. I need to get a B and I don’t know how I’m gonna do that.
I really struggle with the course itself and on top of that I hate chemistry this year. I got a C on my practice exam(prelim).

Thank you for taking your time to read this!
Would appreciate any advice!
I'm only doing National 5 Chemistry this year as I'm in 4th year, but will be using the same study technique for all of my subjects, including chemistry, when I take them into higher.

You said that you had been revising all day, you're kind of like me then. I revise a lot each day, but to get that in my memory i need to test myself. Don't rush through the whole course in one day and expect to remember everything, take it bit by bit. What I like to do is take 1 unit at a time, and pick a particular subtopic within that unit. Take Radiation for example, different parts to that subtopic, but I will write out 1 sentence at a time on, say the different absorbers of the radiation, until it becomes engraved in my mind. Once I have it mastered each type of absorber for the three radiations, I will go back to the start of the subtopic and write down the absorbers again (starting with alpha descending down to gamma, to keep the information I just learned inside my head), and once I am confident, I will move on to another subtopic such as the deflecting of radiation. The same technique follows for this subtopic, except once i have finished, I will go straight back to the absorbers, and test myself to ensure I remember the information. Once I have covered 2 subtopics, take a break, go and watch a quick YouTube video (10 minutes maximum) to relax a bit, and then go back and repeat the same technique, because if you overwork yourself, you can forget the information you have just taken in. I like to spread 1 unit over 3 days tops, and every day that I have finished studying on one part of a unit, before I go to bed I will look at the sheet to ensure I memorise the information, and then go to sleep (when you go to sleep on something, you are highly more likely to remember it in the morning, and it works for me all the time). Also make sure that you stay well hydrated throughout your studying.

Hope this helps in someway.
katherine340
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strelzo)
I'm only doing National 5 Chemistry this year as I'm in 4th year, but will be using the same study technique for all of my subjects, including chemistry, when I take them into higher.

You said that you had been revising all day, you're kind of like me then. I revise a lot each day, but to get that in my memory i need to test myself. Don't rush through the whole course in one day and expect to remember everything, take it bit by bit. What I like to do is take 1 unit at a time, and pick a particular subtopic within that unit. Take Radiation for example, different parts to that subtopic, but I will write out 1 sentence at a time on, say the different absorbers of the radiation, until it becomes engraved in my mind. Once I have it mastered each type of absorber for the three radiations, I will go back to the start of the subtopic and write down the absorbers again (starting with alpha descending down to gamma, to keep the information I just learned inside my head), and once I am confident, I will move on to another subtopic such as the deflecting of radiation. The same technique follows for this subtopic, except once i have finished, I will go straight back to the absorbers, and test myself to ensure I remember the information. Once I have covered 2 subtopics, take a break, go and watch a quick YouTube video (10 minutes maximum) to relax a bit, and then go back and repeat the same technique, because if you overwork yourself, you can forget the information you have just taken in. I like to spread 1 unit over 3 days tops, and every day that I have finished studying on one part of a unit, before I go to bed I will look at the sheet to ensure I memorise the information, and then go to sleep (when you go to sleep on something, you are highly more likely to remember it in the morning, and it works for me all the time). Also make sure that you stay well hydrated throughout your studying.

Hope this helps in someway.
Thanks! I will try that except I don’t have much time until Friday. Loved Nat 5 chemistry btw, but higher is a nightmare in my opinion.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks! I will try that except I don’t have much time until Friday. Loved Nat 5 chemistry btw, but higher is a nightmare in my opinion.
:thumbsup: Yeah, National 5 Chemistry is very easy and fun. Apparently every higher subject is a reasonable jump up from higher, but at least there is less to learn, so I'm actually quite excited for highers, especially to be able to drop the useless 3 other subjects that we are pretty much forced to do over here.

Since you don't have much time, I would focus mainly more to the things you aren't as confident with/the necessary information, and if you have time go back to the more advanced stuff that you maybe don't need to learn but would help for the odd question here and there (especially open ended questions).
Last edited by Strelzo; 2 weeks ago
katherine340
Rep:
?
:thumbsup: Yeah, National 5 Chemistry is very easy and fun. Apparently every higher subject is a reasonable jump up from higher, but at least there is less to learn, so I'm actually quite excited for highers, especially to be able to drop the useless 3 other subjects that we are pretty much forced to do over here.

Since you don't have much time, I would focus mainly more to the things you aren't as confident with/the necessary information, and if you have time go back to the more advanced stuff that you maybe don't need to learn but would help for the odd question here and there (especially open ended questions).
Yeah highers are quite tuff, but once you start doing them you will get used to it. My advice is to try and read over your notes every night after school as it will ease revision so much when it comes to prelims/exams. My biology teacher made us do that and I basically knew all the stuff for the prelims which gave me time for other subjects.

I am really excited for advanced higher biology and chemistry and for exams to be over!!
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah highers are quite tuff, but once you start doing them you will get used to it. My advice is to try and read over your notes every night after school as it will ease revision so much when it comes to prelims/exams. My biology teacher made us do that and I basically knew all the stuff for the prelims which gave me time for other subjects.

I am really excited for advanced higher biology and chemistry and for exams to be over!!
Yeah, this year, because it's only S4, I left revision until I actually had to do it (I done that for every test, including for the upcoming exams). I have given myself 15 days for each exam; doing about 10 hours a day, (only 10 more days left now, thank god :thumbsup:)which accounts to about a whole load of my free time going down the bin xD. When I go into higher, my plan was to, like you said, go home everyday and spend like half an hour on each of my subjects, which gives me about 4 hours free time every night which is perfect; gives me enough time to watch any football that might be on, etc.

Advanced higher sounds like a pain though, I will do it if I have to, but I want to leave school at the end of S5 to head off to a University to study either cyber security/devops engineering, and to do that I need AAAAA in Computing Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English. If I can put the work in, I can get the A grades, however, hopefully we can come to a compromise and get AAAAB, as English is not my strongest subject, I'm more academical, and like there to be a right answer rather than a justification. Justification is alright though, as long as it backs up an answer which is 100% right.

I hope you do well in advanced higher sciences next year though. I think Higher is just about as much as I could cope with regarding sciences lol. If I do partake in S6 study, I will take Advanced Higher Computing Science and Advanced Higher Mathematics, I just couldn't cope with the stress of a science, I think it would be way too much work.
A1renegade
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah, this year, because it's only S4, I left revision until I actually had to do it (I done that for every test, including for the upcoming exams). I have given myself 15 days for each exam; doing about 10 hours a day, (only 10 more days left now, thank god :thumbsup:)which accounts to about a whole load of my free time going down the bin xD. When I go into higher, my plan was to, like you said, go home everyday and spend like half an hour on each of my subjects, which gives me about 4 hours free time every night which is perfect; gives me enough time to watch any football that might be on, etc.

Advanced higher sounds like a pain though, I will do it if I have to, but I want to leave school at the end of S5 to head off to a University to study either cyber security/devops engineering, and to do that I need AAAAA in Computing Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English. If I can put the work in, I can get the A grades, however, hopefully we can come to a compromise and get AAAAB, as English is not my strongest subject, I'm more academical, and like there to be a right answer rather than a justification. Justification is alright though, as long as it backs up an answer which is 100% right.

I hope you do well in advanced higher sciences next year though. I think Higher is just about as much as I could cope with regarding sciences lol. If I do partake in S6 study, I will take Advanced Higher Computing Science and Advanced Higher Mathematics, I just couldn't cope with the stress of a science, I think it would be way too much work.
10 hours a day sounds absolutely mad. I would be so burnt out if I did that, even at Nat 5. Hell, I've nearly lost all motivation just doing around 4 hours a day for the past few weeks. Props to you mate, good luck with the rest of your exams.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A1renegade)
10 hours a day sounds absolutely mad. I would be so burnt out if I did that, even at Nat 5. Hell, I've nearly lost all motivation just doing around 4 hours a day for the past few weeks. Props to you mate, good luck with the rest of your exams.
xD. Thanks man, good luck to you to, I'm sure you'll be fine. 4 hours a day is way more than enough anyways, I just like to do a lot since I only have one try at this, then off to the real world - very soon now.
A1renegade
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
xD. Thanks man, good luck to you to, I'm sure you'll be fine. 4 hours a day is way more than enough anyways, I just like to do a lot since I only have one try at this, then off to the real world - very soon now.
Thanks mate, I'm not likely to fail any of my subjects though, just a bit sick of doing past papers. Only one more year of this and then off to Uni - a bit terrifying when I think about it actually
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A1renegade)
Thanks mate, I'm not likely to fail any of my subjects though, just a bit sick of doing past papers. Only one more year of this and then off to Uni - a bit terrifying when I think about it actually
Oh, I hate doing past papers as well, we have pretty much completed each one (2014 onwards) in class at least thrice; so monotonous. Uni sounds quite weird when you think about it, but I'm actually quite excited about it, not sure why; perhaps the independence, and studying something you will actually do in later life.
Last edited by Strelzo; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (402)
30.69%
The paper was reasonable (514)
39.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (225)
17.18%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.9%

Watched Threads