The Student Room Group

I got an error on my dissertation, will I fail?

I just submitted my dissertation a month ago. But I found I made a mistake on the data. I just go wrong in collecting wrong data.

But I think the rest of the part are fine.
Depends on how big the mistake is. I don’t think you’ll fail completely for an error. And if there’s nothing you can do about it, don’t worry about it.
As students we all make mistakes, even big publishers do from time to time. I doubt you'd fail entirely but it may take a mark or two off your grade. I've made two referencing mistakes in my diss and noticed only after I'd submitted it, but i understand it was my own fault for not double checking so just go with what you've got :smile:
Original post by Ming1220
I just submitted my dissertation a month ago. But I found I made a mistake on the data. I just go wrong in collecting wrong data.

But I think the rest of the part are fine.

It depends what the mistake was with your data. What did you actually do wrong?
Reply 4
I studied on UK banks but I also include some non-UK banks in the dataset.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It depends what the mistake was with your data. What did you actually do wrong?

I should focus on UK banks but I include some non UK banks as well
I should focus on UK banks but I include some non UK banks as well

Well, if you didn't mention non-UK banks anywhere else in your dissertation, then it is a pretty big oversight and any conclusions you've drawn won't be valid.The number of marks you'll lose for that will depend your university's specific marking criteria and whether it significantly affects your research's flow and justifications.
Reply 7
Well, if you didn't mention non-UK banks anywhere else in your dissertation, then it is a pretty big oversight and any conclusions you've drawn won't be valid.The number of marks you'll lose for that will depend your university's specific marking criteria and whether it significantly affects your research's flow and justifications.

But when I sent my draft to my supervisor, he said it’s pretty good
But when I sent my draft to my supervisor, he said it’s pretty good

He may not have noticed the error if you didn't explicitly say that you'd also included non-UK banks in your data too. Did you actually say that you'd included non-UK banks in your write-up? Why did you even sample them if they weren't needed?
Reply 9
He may not have noticed the error if you didn't explicitly say that you'd also included non-UK banks in your data too. Did you actually say that you'd included non-UK banks in your write-up? Why did you even sample them if they weren't needed?

I didn’t say it. They are not entirely non-uk banks, they have activities and offices in the UK as well.
I didn’t say it. They are not entirely non-uk banks, they have activities and offices in the UK as well.

I don't see what the issue is then -- you may want to discuss it with someone at your university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending