The role of external review of marking

Watch
username4414588
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi i had my work marked this week in my undergraduate first year degree, as im an international student and english not my first language, can someone explain in the most simple english that what is external review of marking and moderation and external examiner is also mentioned in feedback, Have asked my teachers but still can't understand,does it mean they will check if my work has serious problems such as plagiarism and stuff like that? what it has to do with the marks as i received it, would really appreciate....thank you very much
Last edited by username4414588; 1 year ago
amihalo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
External examiners are academics from other universities. They review and scrutinise the standards of marking in a department. They ensure that the department is following their own marking procedures, that markers are marking correctly against the grade descriptors, that the marking is in line with other universities and that marking is fair and equitable. They would be expected to comment on whether departments are correctly addressing issues of academic misconduct, reasonable adjustment for disabilities and anything else that impacts on marking standards. As external examiners could recommend changes in marks, all marks should be considered provisional until after external examiner scrutiny and ratification by the board of examiners. They wouldn't be expected to investigate academic misconduct but may be asked to comment whether the department has followed the correct procedures if the department has found misconduct in a piece of work.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jesusmysaviour)
Hi i had my work marked this week in my undergraduate first year degree, as im an international student and english not my first language, can someone explain in the most simple english that what is external review of marking and moderation and external examiner is also mentioned in feedback, Have asked my teachers but still can't understand,does it mean they will check if my work has serious problems such as plagiarism and stuff like that? what it has to do with the marks as i received it, would really appreciate....thank you very much
an external review of marking is basically when a pice or some pieces of work are sent off to make sure the marking is consistent so there is usually a cross section sent off from a good student another one from someone more in the middle and someone who is just scraping through it's pretty normal and nothing to worry about.

Moderation is done both internally and externally an internal moderator will again make sure all marking is fair and will most probably be done by a senior lecturer. An external moderator is someone from outside the uni who will again check work to make sure the marking is fair.

An external examiner is again someone from out side the university who marks exams like moderation but for exam scripts. External examiners are a bigger deal in School and college because all exams are externally marked there. In uni they are marked internally then externally moderated.

Moderation is important because it means you'll get a fair mark I had an assessment marked very low (below 40%)after moderation my marked climbed up by 30%.
username4414588
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, thank you very much for the information. But can i ask, as my work is already marked, do you mean that the external review just check the marking and not plagiarism for academic misconduct? i mean the marker would firstly find an issue with plagiarism right?
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
an external review of marking is basically when a pice or some pieces of work are sent off to make sure the marking is consistent so there is usually a cross section sent off from a good student another one from someone more in the middle and someone who is just scraping through it's pretty normal and nothing to worry about.

Moderation is done both internally and externally an internal moderator will again make sure all marking is fair and will most probably be done by a senior lecturer. An external moderator is someone from outside the uni who will again check work to make sure the marking is fair.

An external examiner is again someone from out side the university who marks exams like moderation but for exam scripts. External examiners are a bigger deal in School and college because all exams are externally marked there. In uni they are marked internally then externally moderated.

Moderation is important because it means you'll get a fair mark I had an assessment marked very low (below 40%)after moderation my marked climbed up by 30%.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, thank you very much for the information. But can i ask, as my work is already marked, do you mean that the external review just check the marking and not plagiarism for academic misconduct? i mean the marker would firstly find an issue with plagiarism right?
Why are you so worried about plagiarism?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are just checking the marking has been done properly and up to standards. It's to ensure the marking hasn't been too harsh or leniant
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Lol you definitely plagiarised didn't you?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)

You had an assignment which was originally graded a fail and on moderation it was marked a high 2i/low first?!
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah if there is a plagiarism issue they probably would have let you know already or you might have not got your marks back yet.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
You had an assignment which was originally graded a fail and on moderation it was marked a high 2i/low first?!
Well no it was graded 20% and on moderation became 50%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads