The Student Room Group

How much instrument practice do you do?

My mum is saying I need to do more music practice (I play clarinet) but when I talk to all my friends who play at a similar standard to me they all do way less. At the moment I do half an hour 5 days a week plus an extra 15 minutes, and I'm going to do my grade 6 this term. I don't really know how much practice I'm supposed to be doing, so how much do you do?
Well for singing I don’t really have a set practice time and duration, but I’m doing grade 8 pop vocals, grade 6 classical and grade 8 musical theatre within the next year..... so I probably should tbh but this seems to be working out fine for me atm
On average I probably do around an hour a day 5-6 days a week, more in the holidays but I have my end of year exams coming up so I’m not really doing that maybe 15 mins a day currently......
With singing it’s certainly easier to just do practice wherever whenever, because I’m working on grade 6 guitar and I don’t do any practice I just show up to my lessons...............:K:
Reply 2
Haven't picked up a guitar outside of playing gigs for like two years
I’m currently working towards my grade 7 trumpet, I also play in bands and orchestras and I’ve just picked up piano and flugelhorn. When I did my grade 6 trumpet the month beforehand I was doing about 40 minutes a day, but I only did about 20 minutes the week before bc I didn’t want to ruin my lips.

At the moment I’m doing about 90 minutes practice every day bc of the sheer volume of music I need to practice - I have an audition piece, 5 grade 7 level pieces, grade 7 scales, band pieces for flugel and I’m staying on top of my grade 6 pieces for a Competition next month. Plus about 30 minutes of piano.

So in conclusion, the length of your practice is dependent on what performances you’ve got coming up, how much you need to work on the pieces and what level you’re at. That being said, don’t compare yourself to others as everyone needs to do different amounts of practice. Also don’t force yourself to practice because that sucks the joy out of it and defeats the purpose. If you don’t feel like practicing one day, then don’t!
Reply 4
Thanks. You've reassured me that I don't need to force myself to practice, although I think I should try to do a little bit more.
Other than a one hour rehearsal for both band and orchestra, I practice around one hour a week Percussion/Drums, and 30-45 mins a week Double Bass, working towards grades 6 and 4 next winter respectively. Don't feel pressured to practice because you will end up hating the idea of practising which takes the enjoyment out of playing which is the whole point of being a musician.
Original post by Cupcakes12
Thanks. You've reassured me that I don't need to force myself to practice, although I think I should try to do a little bit more.
Reply 6
Original post by Cupcakes12
My mum is saying I need to do more music practice (I play clarinet) but when I talk to all my friends who play at a similar standard to me they all do way less. At the moment I do half an hour 5 days a week plus an extra 15 minutes, and I'm going to do my grade 6 this term. I don't really know how much practice I'm supposed to be doing, so how much do you do?

When I was a teenager and first took up the ukulele, I did something like two hours' practice a day. Doing that, I overtook my tutor in around six months.

Quick Reply

Latest