Millions of Equations Watch

harrypotterfan44
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
There are lots of equations to memorise in science and maths GCSE.DOes anyone have any good methods or tips to memorise them? I'd be so grateful because I can barely remember any
Huckipity
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrypotterfan44)
There are lots of equations to memorise in science and maths GCSE.DOes anyone have any good methods or tips to memorise them? I'd be so grateful because I can barely remember any
Honestly, In my opinion you should only need to actually learn a few at this stage as you should just remember them from class and past papers etc...
However, If you don't know them for Maths I'd just do practice questions until the formula sticks in your head, and for Physics write flashcards of all the equations you need to know
13stokes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I always made little rhymes to remember them that I still know now a full year later! but the best way is just to keep practicing questions so they come to you naturally
also there are sometimes little rules like most of the power equations are multiplied anyway
good luck!
OllyDaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
make flashcards, grab some one, play snap kinda game
1 person says the what equation ur looking for e.g whats the equations for power using energy E=pt or p=E/t
before u grab the card say the equation and then check.
worked for me at least, and now i can't forget the equations
thoxque
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally, Id say the best way to remember an equation is to understand what it really means, Its not just a mixture of letters and symbols, the meaning lies deeper. When you get a question where you have to use a formula if you understand where the formula comes from you will be able to create it for yourself.
So for example: p = mv (momentum = mass x velocity) idk if this is a gcse equation but, you need to think deeper at the individual components of the equation. Mass (scalar quantity) is just summarising the quantity of an object (so if you get a question with an object such as a ball, think does it have mass??) and velocity just describing how fast its going. Then understand what momentum actually is, essentially its nothing, its just describing a relationship between mass and velocity. Something can have momentum only if its moving because it needs velocity (think of velocity component) or if it has mass.
This is just an example but can be applied to pretty much any aspect of maths and physics and will really help you to recall the equations through deeper knowledge, also you will be more flexible in uncomfortable situations, and this is precisely an examiners' fetish.

However, this is a hard process, and takes a lot of brain power to really understand where the components of the equation derive from, but if you do it correctly you will never forget the equations (because technically you arent remembering them at all)
btw I did this for my physics gcse and got 100% (no brag, it really works so imo dont try parrot learn them, you can use flashcards to write them down on and stimulate your visual memory but dont become fixated on these).
harrypotterfan44
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thanks guys,gonna try all of them.Hopefully getting 7,8,9 in all my gcse next year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (404)
26.34%
The paper was reasonable (660)
43.02%
Not feeling great about that exam (303)
19.75%
It was TERRIBLE (167)
10.89%

Watched Threads