Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
-Bath
-St Andrews
- Cardiff
- Loughborough
-Glasgow

in terms of teaching style, night life, campus, sport, the city/town itself, friendliness, opportunities, esp. for a psychology or modern languages student. Thank you!! x
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(I can only really offer insights on the cities themselves and the night life but that’s better than nothing)
Glasgow is a really big city and the night life is great. There’s loads of clubs and bars in the city centre which are very easy to get to and the West End has mostly bars but they are all good and close to each other too. There’s one for whatever you want in terms of music, dress code and drinks so you have lots of choice. The shopping is also great in Glasgow and public transport is usually good too. Glasgow university also has a special modern languages common room with computers, resources on languages and spaces to sit and chat or work.

St. Andrews has a very different night life because it’s much smaller. It’s mostly pubs/bars and some have dance floors in them. There’s usually lots of house or flat parties going on so it’s not boring, it’s just different to what you’d get in a big city. Because the town is so small there aren’t many big shops but Dundee and Edinburgh are very easy to get to and they have loads of clubs, bars and shops. St. Andrews doesn’t really have a “campus” because the town is pretty much the whole campus but that means that all buildings are within walking distance from halls etc (the languages buildings are just of Market street which is the main shopping street).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by goldilocks12; 1 month ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pon1de2replay3)
-Bath
-St Andrews
- Cardiff
- Loughborough
-Glasgow

in terms of teaching style, night life, campus, sport, the city/town itself, friendliness, opportunities, esp. for a psychology or modern languages student. Thank you!! x
Bath campus on a massive, steep hill that's a 5-10 min bus ride away from the gorgeous city, but the Placement Year's are great incentive. Sporty and Sciency. Student bars but not many proper nightclubs.

St Andrews like Bath but lots mixed arts/sciences and the uni is built into the town so short walk to lectures. #1 for student satisfaction (and rarely out of the top 3). No proper nightclubs but loads of student bars and a myriad of arcane traditions with keeno Americans.

Loughborough, like Bath but even more sporty and less pretty and no hill. Student satisfaction basically around #1 like St Andrews though.

Don't know enough about the other two other than the Glasgow has the excellent broad Scottish system and possibly the prettiest campus, great nightlife too in Glasgae. Cardiff is a research powerhouse so good if you want highly cited academics as lecturers probs.
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldilocks12)
(I can only really offer insights on the cities themselves and the night life but that’s better than nothing)
Glasgow is a really big city and the night life is great. There’s loads of clubs and bars in the city centre which are very easy to get to and the West End has mostly bars but they are all good and close to each other too. There’s one for whatever you want in terms of music, dress code and drinks so you have lots of choice. The shopping is also great in Glasgow and public transport is usually good too. Glasgow university also has a special modern languages common room with computers, resources on languages and spaces to sit and chat or work.

St. Andrews has a very different night life because it’s much smaller. It’s mostly pubs/bars and some have dance floors in them. There’s usually lots of house or flat parties going on so it’s not boring, it’s just different to what you’d get in a big city. Because the town is so small there aren’t many big shops but Dundee and Edinburgh are very easy to get to and they have loads of clubs, bars and shops. St. Andrews doesn’t really have a “campus” because the town is pretty much the whole campus but that means that all buildings are within walking distance from halls etc (the languages buildings are just of Market street which is the main shopping street).
thank you so much!! i was previously quite worried that st andrews would be boring bc its so small but it sounds like theres still lots to do
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
thank you very much for being so helpful
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Bath campus on a massive, steep hill that's a 5-10 min bus ride away from the gorgeous city, but the Placement Year's are great incentive. Sporty and Sciency. Student bars but not many proper nightclubs.

St Andrews like Bath but lots mixed arts/sciences and the uni is built into the town so short walk to lectures. #1 for student satisfaction (and rarely out of the top 3). No proper nightclubs but loads of student bars and a myriad of arcane traditions with keeno Americans.

Loughborough, like Bath but even more sporty and less pretty and no hill. Student satisfaction basically around #1 like St Andrews though.

Don't know enough about the other two other than the Glasgow has the excellent broad Scottish system and possibly the prettiest campus, great nightlife too in Glasgae. Cardiff is a research powerhouse so good if you want highly cited academics as lecturers probs.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
jack0634
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Current St. Andrews student here. I would implore you to think HARD before you decide to come here. In my opinion, it's only truly suited to a certain kind of person (dare I say it's just a tad elitist :rolleyes:), and if you're not that person, you'll be miserable. The main issue for me is the expense of everything, as the lack of variety of shops, pubs etc makes saving money difficult. The few supermarkets we have are a decent walk away from the main town (with the exception of an incessantly busy and poorly-stocked Tesco Metro), and £4 a pint is about average. Nightlife itself is also lacking. There are no clubs at all, aside from the one in the Union building which is rarely open. In terms of the walk to lectures being short, that's entirely dependent on where you choose to live. St. Andrews isn't nearly as small as some people think it is, and if you choose the wrong halls/flat then be prepared for treks in and out of town (it took me almost 30 minutes to and from the halls I stayed in in 1st year). As someone else stated previously, it isn't a campus university. Apart from the science buildings which are mostly in one area, they're all spread out across the town and navigating between them can be a task. Also departments share buildings, so it's not unusual to have an IR lecture in a physics lecture hall, for example!

It does have some saving graces though. Sport is a big focus here, and there's a society for virtually any sport you could think of (even Quidditch, which makes us the subject of some ridicule). But for me, the teaching is St. Andrews' greatest asset. As a modern languages student (German and Russian, if you care), I've never had a lecturer who I thought was sub-par, and they're all very easy to contact if you need help. I will complain slightly about the variation of material and module choices, although someone whose interests lie in a different area may not find this an issue. The modern languages faculty is very small and tight-knit, so you'll find yourself getting to know people very quickly, and we're a pretty friendly bunch, so no worries there.

All things considered, it's an excellent university, but you need to do your research and make sure that you're totally prepared for the lifestyle here. If you aren't, like I wasn't, it's gonna cause you problems. How fulfilled you'd be really depends on what you want out of university. St. Andrews is fine if you're utterly focused on academia. If you want to go somewhere vibrant with loads of events and parties, then Glasgow is probably more up your alley.

If you have any more questions or would like to talk to me about anything else St. Andrews related, don't hesitate to drop me a message. Whether or not you decide to come here, I'm happy to be of assistance
Marydane1607
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cardiff is Great, and cheap too
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been around Loughborough and had an interview at Cardiff.
Both unis are very pretty.
Loughborough is like best for sports or something.
I'd say the areas are nice but very quiet. So if you're a city kid like me, it can seem a bit unnerving without having all the business and the noise.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
sorry im replying to this so late!! i remember reading it in a hurry a while ago and then completely forgot :/ thank you so much for all your help!! i will definitely message you in the future when i think of some questions if that's okay
(Original post by jack0634)
Current St. Andrews student here. I would implore you to think HARD before you decide to come here. In my opinion, it's only truly suited to a certain kind of person (dare I say it's just a tad elitist :rolleyes:), and if you're not that person, you'll be miserable. The main issue for me is the expense of everything, as the lack of variety of shops, pubs etc makes saving money difficult. The few supermarkets we have are a decent walk away from the main town (with the exception of an incessantly busy and poorly-stocked Tesco Metro), and £4 a pint is about average. Nightlife itself is also lacking. There are no clubs at all, aside from the one in the Union building which is rarely open. In terms of the walk to lectures being short, that's entirely dependent on where you choose to live. St. Andrews isn't nearly as small as some people think it is, and if you choose the wrong halls/flat then be prepared for treks in and out of town (it took me almost 30 minutes to and from the halls I stayed in in 1st year). As someone else stated previously, it isn't a campus university. Apart from the science buildings which are mostly in one area, they're all spread out across the town and navigating between them can be a task. Also departments share buildings, so it's not unusual to have an IR lecture in a physics lecture hall, for example!

It does have some saving graces though. Sport is a big focus here, and there's a society for virtually any sport you could think of (even Quidditch, which makes us the subject of some ridicule). But for me, the teaching is St. Andrews' greatest asset. As a modern languages student (German and Russian, if you care), I've never had a lecturer who I thought was sub-par, and they're all very easy to contact if you need help. I will complain slightly about the variation of material and module choices, although someone whose interests lie in a different area may not find this an issue. The modern languages faculty is very small and tight-knit, so you'll find yourself getting to know people very quickly, and we're a pretty friendly bunch, so no worries there.

All things considered, it's an excellent university, but you need to do your research and make sure that you're totally prepared for the lifestyle here. If you aren't, like I wasn't, it's gonna cause you problems. How fulfilled you'd be really depends on what you want out of university. St. Andrews is fine if you're utterly focused on academia. If you want to go somewhere vibrant with loads of events and parties, then Glasgow is probably more up your alley.

If you have any more questions or would like to talk to me about anything else St. Andrews related, don't hesitate to drop me a message. Whether or not you decide to come here, I'm happy to be of assistance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads