GoldenShade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I was doing some english revision on key themes, and was wonderingg if you would consider TGG a romantic novel, please explain your answers?

(Initially, I would think yes due to Gatsby's intense desire for Daisy and his loyalty to her, however I also think we could discuss Gatsby only loving the idea of Daisy and therefore not being romantic.)
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GoldenShade)
Hi,
I was doing some english revision on key themes, and was wonderingg if you would consider TGG a romantic novel, please explain your answers?

(Initially, I would think yes due to Gatsby's intense desire for Daisy and his loyalty to her, however I also think we could discuss Gatsby only loving the idea of Daisy and therefore not being romantic.)
Not really? It’s about a love story, and his dream to be with Daisy, but it’s all destroyed by the end - perhaps because of the way he overreached himself in trying to get to her - even thinking he could turn back time itself.
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, the Great Gatsby is a microcosm for 'conspicuous consumption,' corruption and the American Dream.
GoldenShade
Rep:
?
So, perhaps we could consider it a romantic tragedy?
(Original post by JMR2019.)
Not really? It’s about a love story, and his dream to be with Daisy, but it’s all destroyed by the end - perhaps because of the way he overreached himself in trying to get to her - even thinking he could turn back time itself.
GoldenShade
Rep:
?
My module is love through the ages
(Original post by yotsr123)
No, the Great Gatsby is a microcosm for 'conspicuous consumption,' corruption and the American Dream.
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GoldenShade)
My module is love through the ages
My module is love through the ages too. Perhaps I should've explained further and said that because it is shows these themes (corruption, consumption, emptiness of the american dream) the Great Gatsby is not a romantic novel at all.
Everyone is filling a void (not romantic); for example:
Gatsby chases Daisy not because he loves her but because he desires class and to respected among his peers. He has the money but Daisy is the most important asset. (he wants to fulfill his American dream)
GoldenShade
Rep:
?
Ahh okay, that makes perfect sense. That's would be a great debate, thank you for your help.
(Original post by yotsr123)
My module is love through the ages too. Perhaps I should've explained further and said that because it is shows these themes (corruption, consumption, emptiness of the american dream) the Great Gatsby is not a romantic novel at all.
Everyone is filling a void (not romantic); for example:
Gatsby chases Daisy not because he loves her but because he desires class and to respected among his peers. He has the money but Daisy is the most important asset. (he wants to fulfill his American dream)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (424)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (522)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (227)
5.98%
Loneliness (318)
8.38%
Financial worries (140)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (148)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (215)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (339)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (356)
9.38%

Watched Threads