The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History - Cold War/Elizabethan England (Paper 2)06 Jun [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How was the paper(s)?

Elizabeth was good, CW wasn’t as great13%
CW was good, Elizabeth wasn’t as great29%
Both were excellent 13%
Both were good33%
We have ourselves a Cold War, guys :(11%
Total votes: 45
Hi everyone!

The option choices for History are really complicated because everyone does a different set of papers, but I've made this thread for anyone doing:

- Superpower Relations and The Cold War

AND/OR

- Early Elizabethan Era

for Paper 2 and their British Depth Study.

The exam date is 6th June 2019. This paper accounts for 40% of our GCSE.

Use this thread to share how you're feeling in the run up to the exam, some cool revision strategies you have and (after the exam) how you felt about the paper!

I hope you find this useful!

Good luck!

@Evil Homer, please add this to the list!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't like this exam at all, especially the Cold War bit, where you basically have to know every little detail :frown: I can get away with not knowing everything in the other papers but not here.

As my history teacher always says though, chronology is the most important thing in the Cold War. If you can explain how events influenced others and how it impacted the war, you'll be fine. I would recommend making a list of every event and writing the consequences of it!

e.g. Truman Doctrine consequences
- increased tension
- Marshall Plan came later as the practical outcome of the doctrine
- Stalin created Comecon and Cominform, which politically and economically deepened the divide between the two superpowers
I did Cold War + liz last year and managed to get a grade 9 if anyone needs some help/revision tips 😁
Original post by Sam snake
I did Cold War + liz last year and managed to get a grade 9 if anyone needs some help/revision tips 😁

Omg yes please! What did you do?

Please help with tips for the liz 16 marker 😭😭
Original post by daneildaneil14
Omg yes please! What did you do?

Well for revision I really didn’t do as much as I should have because I starters wayyyy too late. Anyway I made really concise notes out of both text books and then made them into flash cards. My teacher also made us do tons of essays so I had an idea of how to structure every type of question.
Original post by turna127
Please help with tips for the liz 16 marker 😭😭

As far as I remember in my exam I got super lucky because my teacher had gone through an identical question a few weeks before. Basically my teacher gave us all this plan on how to structure the 16 marker and it goes : 1. Address the question 2. Point 3. Contextual knowledge 4. Explanation 5. Readdress the question

There’s some more stuff to add but it’s in my old books which I can’t get right now but tommorow I’ll try and find them and message you 😁
As far as I remember in my exam I got super lucky because my teacher had gone through an identical question a few weeks before. Basically my teacher gave us all this plan on how to structure the 16 marker and it goes : 1. Address the question 2. Point 3. Contextual knowledge 4. Explanation 5. Readdress the question

There’s some more stuff to add but it’s in my old books which I can’t get right now but tommorow I’ll try and find them and message you 😁

Thank you so much!
Hi @Evil Homer, can you add this to the list please? :hugs:
do the examiners want to see loads of dates or only the dates for the biggest events?
Hey @Evil Homer, could you add this to the exams discussions list please?
Hi guys! I'm fairly confident with my content knowledge, but I would like to receive some help on how to structure all of the questions in both Elizabeth & Cold War.
I'd be very, very grateful. Thanks so much! Also I'm making a summary of Cold War if anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5984818
and also if anyone has some questions to ask:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5984824&p=83697200#post83697200

All I basically need help with is the exam writing skills :smile:
Original post by liaente
Hi guys! I'm fairly confident with my content knowledge, but I would like to receive some help on how to structure all of the questions in both Elizabeth & Cold War.
I'd be very, very grateful. Thanks so much! Also I'm making a summary of Cold War if anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5984818
and also if anyone has some questions to ask:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5984824&p=83697200#post83697200

All I basically need help with is the exam writing skills :smile:

I like the summary, thank you! :yep:
What exactly do you want from structure help? Is it a particular question or?
Hiya!
Well to be honest I'm quite terrible at everything except the "feature" question in Elizabeth.
I would like some help for the 12 mark, 16 mark for Elizabeth.
The 8 mark narrative, 8 mark significance & consequences for Cold War.
Original post by RazzzBerries
I like the summary, thank you! :yep:
What exactly do you want from structure help? Is it a particular question or?
Original post by liaente
Hiya!
Well to be honest I'm quite terrible at everything except the "feature" question in Elizabeth.
I would like some help for the 12 mark, 16 mark for Elizabeth.
The 8 mark narrative, 8 mark significance & consequences for Cold War.

This link may be able to help with your Elizabeth structure questions.
This link may be able to help with your Cold War structure questions.
:godancing:
Thank you, I've already tried BBC bitesize, but it's only good for content for me - the structure isn't clearly labelled.
I would basically like to know the amount of paragraphs and what to include. I don't want to be waffling. For example, do I need a conclusion or introduction in the 12 markers or something like that?

This link may be able to help with your Elizabeth structure questions.
This link may be able to help with your Cold War structure questions.
:godancing:
Original post by liaente
Thank you, I've already tried BBC bitesize, but it's only good for content for me - the structure isn't clearly labelled.
I would basically like to know the amount of paragraphs and what to include. I don't want to be waffling. For example, do I need a conclusion or introduction in the 12 markers or something like that?

Ohhh OK. My teacher's told me that we have to have a intro and a conclusion, but it's been argued that an intro isn't needed at all. Personally, I think as long as you've got the points in the question down, your own knowledge and a solid conclusion with a line of argument, you should be fine. :banana2:
Thanks for that! It's mostly important to have great writing skills in exams - maybe sometimes even more so than the actual content. That's why I'm kind of worrying :smile:
Ohhh OK. My teacher's told me that we have to have a intro and a conclusion, but it's been argued that an intro isn't needed at all. Personally, I think as long as you've got the points in the question down, your own knowledge and a solid conclusion with a line of argument, you should be fine. :banana2:
Original post by liaente
Thanks for that! It's mostly important to have great writing skills in exams - maybe sometimes even more so than the actual content. That's why I'm kind of worrying :smile:

Aww, that's OK :h:. Yeah, I get what you mean, but don't fret too much. If you know the content inside out, the writing skills will come naturally.
How do You pass Cold War 😢

Quick Reply

Latest