What is the English literature course like at York?

Watch this thread
Lpataxg0
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering if any students currently studying for English BA at University of York could give an indication as to how they find the course.
Lpataxg0
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Compared to the traditional courses at Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Bristol, York seems to offer a wider choice of modules. Obviously overall the university does not have such high status, but the English department seems to have a good reputation. I was wondering if anyone here has experience of the course?
(Original post by Lpataxg0)
I was wondering if any students currently studying for English BA at University of York could give an indication as to how they find the course.
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lpataxg0)
Compared to the traditional courses at Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Bristol, York seems to offer a wider choice of modules. Obviously overall the university does not have such high status, but the English department seems to have a good reputation. I was wondering if anyone here has experience of the course?
York is a very highly-regarded department in the field. Its standard BA course emphasises literatures beyond English, including opportunities to study a little in foreign languages, and look at classical and world literatures. So it has an implicit comparative literature tilt. As you say, there's a wider choice of modules, and more choice full stop than at some institutions, so the undergraduate experience is more flexible (but also potentially more scattered). That might or might not be to your taste!

And it might be worth looking more closely at the institutions you bracket together as more 'traditional'—there're differences between them, and they offer other flexibilities. For example, Oxford's English BA requires students to study set period modules that run from the earliest English to the present, but within those periods students can prepare for and tackle exams using any texts they choose—that's another kind of flexibility. Cambridge's BA doesn't include early English, and is informed by a specific heritage of 'practical criticism'. And so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (95)
41.67%
They're exactly what I expected (55)
24.12%