GCSE AQA Eng lit - Possible to do a question in a text you didn't study in school? Watch

queenchloe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I really struggle with the text I learnt in school which is 'The Sign of Four' because of the amount of writers techniques and how it's written, I also find it hard to analyse and find quotes. I find the plot confusing, too. So, I've been learning 'A christmas Carol' instead as I'm more familiar with it as it is a well-known christmas classic movie and there are more shorter and obvious quotes. The plot is also a lot simpler and there aren't many main characters apart from the ghosts which will probably also link to Scrooge's behaviours/ personality.

I was just wondering if it is possible for me to do a question on 'A Christmas Carol' instead of 'The Sign of Four' in the exam

Response is highly appreciated!
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by queenchloe)
I really struggle with the text I learnt in school which is 'The Sign of Four' because of the amount of writers techniques and how it's written, I also find it hard to analyse and find quotes. I find the plot confusing, too. So, I've been learning 'A christmas Carol' instead as I'm more familiar with it as it is a well-known christmas classic movie and there are more shorter and obvious quotes. The plot is also a lot simpler and there aren't many main characters apart from the ghosts which will probably also link to Scrooge's behaviours/ personality.

I was just wondering if it is possible for me to do a question on 'A Christmas Carol' instead of 'The Sign of Four' in the exam

Response is highly appreciated!
The examiner isn't going to know which book you studied in school. You can do any question you want.
queenchloe
Rep:
?
(Original post by MinaBee)
The examiner isn't going to know which book you studied in school. You can do any question you want.
Okay, thank you so much
dznnyk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Be careful though. You need to know the context, etc. for a higher grade, especially for AQA.
angela_12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Writer's technique is something you need to write about, if there's a lot in sign of four surely that gives you more to write about?
queenchloe
Rep:
?
(Original post by angela_12)
Writer's technique is something you need to write about, if there's a lot in sign of four surely that gives you more to write about?
Yeah, but I really struggle with what the characters are saying
angela_12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by queenchloe)
Yeah, but I really struggle with what the characters are saying
Oh ok, yeah I get you now, then yeah if you still have plenty to write about then do ACC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads