Xiphos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Here's my predicament: I'm 16 and at sixth form at the moment and messed up my GCSE's (8,7,6,6,5,5,5,5,4). I wanted to study all three sciences at sixth form but missed my maths requirement by one grade, after some negotiating I was offered a BTEC in applied science which I didn't want to do. Therefore, I had to change my A-level options and picked English Literature, Economics and Ancient history and in all honesty, I hate it. I cannot see myself wanting to go to University and spending thousands on a degree that I don't care about or feel a desire to use.

I was highlighted to senior management due to concerns about my motivation and had to attend a meeting. In this meeting, I was told that I could resit maths at my sixth form and that I should have been doing that months ago. Despite the fact that I had phoned the sixth form and asked; only now had I found out that there was an escape and a slight chance that I could do my GCSE maths and re-enrol next year doing science. However, I seem to have been told this far too late as the resits are in 3 weeks and I will get the same grade as before if I attempt them then. Finally, if I miss these resits the next ones are in November which would mean that I would no longer be able to re-enrol in the sixth form as the academic year begins in September. I think it's safe to say Oxbridge is out of the picture. What can I do?
Orla_C1998
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by JoshuaRussell16)
Here's my predicament: I'm 16 and at sixth form at the moment and messed up my GCSE's (8,7,6,6,5,5,5,5,4). I wanted to study all three sciences at sixth form but missed my maths requirement by one grade, after some negotiating I was offered a BTEC in applied science which I didn't want to do. Therefore, I had to change my A-level options and picked English Literature, Economics and Ancient history and in all honesty, I hate it. I cannot see myself wanting to go to University and spending thousands on a degree that I don't care about or feel a desire to use.

I was highlighted to senior management due to concerns about my motivation and had to attend a meeting. In this meeting, I was told that I could resit maths at my sixth form and that I should have been doing that months ago. Despite the fact that I had phoned the sixth form and asked; only now had I found out that there was an escape and a slight chance that I could do my GCSE maths and re-enrol next year doing science. However, I seem to have been told this far too late as the resits are in 3 weeks and I will get the same grade as before if I attempt them then. Finally, if I miss these resits the next ones are in November which would mean that I would no longer be able to re-enrol in the sixth form as the academic year begins in September. I think it's safe to say Oxbridge is out of the picture. What can I do?
Go sit your maths gcse and revise like crazy for 3 weeks, I advise going over past papers the whole time and working on what your weaknesses are and focus on that.. never think it’s too late to do something, just as long as you do it right is the best thing!.. I’m 20 and plan to study medicine next year, I left school at 16 and have worked full time ever sense while doing night classes on top of that for repeating my GCSEs.. I am now studying for my a-levels at the age of 20😊.. never give up on what you want!
Xiphos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Orla_C1998)
Go sit your maths gcse and revise like crazy for 3 weeks, I advise going over past papers the whole time and working on what your weaknesses are and focus on that.. never think it’s too late to do something, just as long as you do it right is the best thing!.. I’m 20 and plan to study medicine next year, I left school at 16 and have worked full time ever sense while doing night classes on top of that for repeating my GCSEs.. I am now studying for my a-levels at the age of 20😊.. never give up on what you want!
Thank you and best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
71.43%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.14%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads