Book recommendations for getting into philosophy Watch

_nim1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve just started reading a bit about philosophy and I definitely want to find out more. I’ve got a long summer before uni and I want to spend some time reading and learning how to be a better me and be happier etc. Would appreciate any book recommendations on this topic and thoughts on philosophy in general!
jonathanjames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _nim1)
I’ve just started reading a bit about philosophy and I definitely want to find out more. I’ve got a long summer before uni and I want to spend some time reading and learning how to be a better me and be happier etc. Would appreciate any book recommendations on this topic and thoughts on philosophy in general!
Think, by Simon Blackburn is good, what I did was purchase an old specification philosophy a level book and really really love it! It was formatted and detailed, past exam standard
_nim1
Rep:
?
Thanks! That’s a good idea I’ll try that out : )
(Original post by jonathanjames)
Think, by Simon Blackburn is good, what I did was purchase an old specification philosophy a level book and really really love it! It was formatted and detailed, past exam standard
Hmmmmmmm?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not even sure where to begin! ^w^
Philosophy is one of my most favored subjects and I plan on studying it as a major. I’ll have to go through my notes and find some of the suggestions my professor gave me, but two that come to mind specifically are Nietzsche’s ‘Beyond Good & Evil’ and Marcus Aurelius’ book ‘Meditations’.

If you ever want to talk about philosophy related things, I almost can’t express how much I would love too :3
Either way though, I hope you enjoy what you read and learn to be the best you that you want to be.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get yourself a couple of 'intro to...' books and go from there.
_nim1
Rep:
?
Will do! Thank you
(Original post by gjd800)
Get yourself a couple of 'intro to...' books and go from there.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _nim1)
Will do! Thank you
It sounds kinda clichéd, but they will give you a broad introduction and there will be something then that piques your interest. You can go look at specific things once that happens! If someone had given me Nietzsche to read when I first started, I'd have never looked at philosophy again. :laugh:
_nim1
Rep:
?
Aha that’s sweet thank you. I’ll have a look at those books ☺️
And I might take you up on that offer when I actually get my thoughts in order! I’m a bit of a confused mess at the moment haha but hopefully that changes soon
(Original post by Hmmmmmmm?)
I’m not even sure where to begin! ^w^
Philosophy is one of my most favored subjects and I plan on studying it as a major. I’ll have to go through my notes and find some of the suggestions my professor gave me, but two that come to mind specifically are Nietzsche’s ‘Beyond Good & Evil’ and Marcus Aurelius’ book ‘Meditations’.

If you ever want to talk about philosophy related things, I almost can’t express how much I would love too :3
Either way though, I hope you enjoy what you read and learn to be the best you that you want to be.
_nim1
Rep:
?
Thanks 😂 probably is the best place to start
(Original post by gjd800)
It sounds kinda clichéd, but they will give you a broad introduction and there will be something then that piques your interest. You can go look at specific things once that happens! If someone had given me Nietzsche to read when I first started, I'd have never looked at philosophy again. :laugh:
Hmmmmmmm?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck with getting your thoughts in order. If you need any help, feel free to ask
(Original post by _nim1)
Aha that’s sweet thank you. I’ll have a look at those books ☺️
And I might take you up on that offer when I actually get my thoughts in order! I’m a bit of a confused mess at the moment haha but hopefully that changes soon
Lostx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I’m just starting in the field of Philosophy and I am wondering if these books are suitable for an A-level beginner?

Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
research stoicism, interesting stuff.
Vernant
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Beyond Good and Evil is an incredible text and you could definitely take a crack at it. However, On the Genealogy of Morals is shorter and much more accessible whilst still containing a lot of the main ideas of Beyond Good and Evil. I'd recommend tackling that one first as you'd have a better understanding of Nietzsche's ideas as he develops them in BGE.

The Communist Manifesto is always a good shout and definitely the most accessible of Marx's (and Engel's) writing, a good intro to their thinking.

If you're looking for other general texts that would be accessible to beginners, I recommend these:

Nigel Warburton's Philosophy the Basics

Sophie's World, a novel by Jostein Gaarder which covers a lot of key philosophical schools and concepts but through an accessible story format that isn't patronising.

Bertrand Russell's The Problems of Philosophy. Don't be intimidated that it's Russell, written over a hundred years ago but the problems are yet to be solved!

I did my undergrad in philosophy and read the first two texts before university. A professor then gave us Russell to read. Don't be discouraged if you don't understand all the ideas. Even uni professors rarely understand a new text on the first reading. Even to have partially understood an idea in philosophy is a victory! But I can say that it's a wonderful subject and does teach you to think in a very clear and incisive way. Just be prepared to say goodbye to a lot of the psychological comforts some people take for granted. Once you start Hume and Kant, you realise we take a lot of our ideas for granted when in fact we have no good reason for holding them at all! And it really can lead you places. I'm just starting work in public policy, my friend is training to be a diplomat, another is working in a bank; it's a very versatile degree.
(Original post by Lostx)
Hi,

I’m just starting in the field of Philosophy and I am wondering if these books are suitable for an A-level beginner?

Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Kit3t
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sophie’s world is good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (279)
15.51%
The paper was reasonable (1000)
55.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (386)
21.46%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
7.45%

Watched Threads