The Student Room Group

Law question help

I was doing a past paper and one of the questions says There's a new TV show which heavily advertised their 1 million jackpot every week. A pair take part in this lottery quiz via TV they answer the questions online. Next day they find out they got all of the questions right. But the TV show announces that due to low viewer rating they are moving their weekly jackpot to once a month.

Question: The pair are dissapointed not to been awarded the jackpot after their first quiz win. Advice the pair.

So far I think its an inviation to treat or a unilateral offer so they can't claim anything. I'm struggling to find relevant information If anyone can help me understand that would be appreciated thanks.
I might be wrong but it seems like a unilateral offer to me, as it's an offer made to the world. These kinds of offers are accepted by conduct and has been in this case since they answered the questions that were required of them in order for the reward.

So technically you have offer and acceptance (though I would expand on this a bit more), you just need to establish that there's intention, certainty and consideration.

For context of this scenario, I'd strongly suggest you read Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball, if you haven't already.
Reply 2
Thank you so much
Original post by MidgetFever
I might be wrong but it seems like a unilateral offer to me, as it's an offer made to the world. These kinds of offers are accepted by conduct and has been in this case since they answered the questions that were required of them in order for the reward.

So technically you have offer and acceptance (though I would expand on this a bit more), you just need to establish that there's intention, certainty and consideration.

For context of this scenario, I'd strongly suggest you read Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest