is 100kg bench press reasonable?

Watch
Grumpy boi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I just hit 100kg on the bench press after 14 months of lifting at 84kg bodyweight.

I was wondering if this was a decent progress after just over a year as I see some guys benching 140-160kg although some of them look heavier than me.

Thanks.
Nonamebzja
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grumpy boi)
Hi. I just hit 100kg on the bench press after 14 months of lifting at 84kg bodyweight.

I was wondering if this was a decent progress after just over a year as I see some guys benching 140-160kg although some of them look heavier than me.

Thanks.
If you’re increasing the weight every now and then that is progress, don’t compare yourself to others!
sohaail23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
I normally use a strength calculator, https://strengthlevel.com/

Right now i weigh 70kg and can becnh 115kg making me stronger than 83%. Ive used this for a while and it lets me keep track of my progress and its a good view of how you stack up with others.
abdul1998th
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Work well on your recovery (food, sleep, water,massage, jucczi, cold water ...etc)
Markus Dint
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Poor effort. Benching 3 plates in a year is achievable if you aren’t lazy.
sohaail23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Markus Dint)
Poor effort. Benching 3 plates in a year is achievable if you aren’t lazy.
That would rank him as an advanced lifter, something that takes multiple years to attain
Markus Dint
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sohaail23)
That would rank him as an advanced lifter, something that takes multiple years to attain
One day you’ll step into a serious gym and you’ll realise that there is nothing advanced about benching 3 plates.
sohaail23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One day you’ll step into a serious gym and you’ll realise that there is nothing advanced about benching 3 plates.
Serious gym? If i was to lift 3 plates it would be 2xBW. Maybe in your gyms where everyones weighs 100kg+ its considered nothing but for the average lifter its pretty advanced
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There used to be a joke on this forum that a 100kg bench allowed you to have a valid opinion on lifting matters. welcome
Utter rubbish
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends how much you started out with.
Serious gyms typically play host to regional or even national level competitive powerlifters. You'd be foolish to compare yourself to other people in that kind of gym.
Sae.HH
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
There used to be a joke on this forum that a 100kg bench allowed you to have a valid opinion on lifting matters. welcome

Utter rubbish
I remember when I hit my first 2 plate. What a glorious day it was to join the brotherhood.

Been watching a lot of Spartacus recently.
Max Eyers
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
Thats fantastic and sounds like great progress, what was your start weight and how old are you? You need to ignore what others are lifting around as what they lift will never affect how your body looks and will not make you any stronger. The way I see it is you should be able to at least bench your bodyweight. So is that your 3 rep max 100kg?
username4658476
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More than I can do.😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads