Let's reclaim the word "gammon".

Watch
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I often contribute to political discussion elsewhere and have been called a "gammon" for supporting my country and democracy. So what is a "gammon"? It, according to Wikipedia, is "a term to describe middle-aged or older white men, particularly those on the political right or who supported Brexit, in reference to the [apparent] colour of their skin when emotional." I rarely get emotional and am not middle-aged, so surely this means that the insult can be, and is, used to refer to anyone with the temerity to be "proud of this free and happy country", to quote Dickens. So, let's be proud of our country and take that word back!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
180 years ago, the 26 year old Charles Dickens was already using the word “gammon” to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.
:indiff:
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mossbourne)
used to refer to anyone with the temerity to be "proud of this free and happy country", to quote Dickens. So, let's be proud of our country and take that word back!
See below!
(Original post by PQ)
180 years ago, the 26 year old Charles Dickens was already using the word “gammon” to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.
:indiff:
I had to Google that PQ :yep:

"An early example of the characteristics being described with the term 'gammon' may be found used by Charles Dickens, in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[5]

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.[6]"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads