Received job offer.. no follow up after 1 week

Watch this thread
K.Plain12
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I recently received a job offer, they rang and offered me the job a few days after the interview, they asked me to come in with personal details (passport and NIN). She said she'll be in contact when the contract came through.. it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything.

Any advice?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by K.Plain12)
I recently received a job offer, they rang and offered me the job a few days after the interview, they asked me to come in with personal details (passport and NIN). She said she'll be in contact when the contract came through.. it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything.

Any advice?
Keep waiting, a week isn't long to wait for a contract to be written up.
person online
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Congratulations on the new job You could call them up (recruitment/your manager) to see if there's anything delaying it, a lot of contracts don't take that long to come through.

Good luck

Any advice?
K.Plain12
Rep:
Thank you for the advice, I'll give them a ring on Wednesday to see what's happening. Just hoping they haven't found someone else for the role without informing me.
(Original post by person online)
Congratulations on the new job You could call them up (recruitment/your manager) to see if there's anything delaying it, a lot of contracts don't take that long to come through.

Good luck
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for the advice, I'll give them a ring on Wednesday to see what's happening. Just hoping they haven't found someone else for the role without informing me.
I very much doubt it's that....some HR departments just take ages to send contracts out. At my place, they're so bad about it that some people have literally worked there for months before their contract arrives! (Not suggesting that's normal tho!)
K.Plain12
Rep:
I really hope it isn't months, this will be my first job and I haven't been given a start date, I don't know whether this is normal.
(Original post by harrysbar)
I very much doubt it's that....some HR departments just take ages to send contracts out. At my place, they're so bad about it that some people have literally worked there for months before their contract arrives! (Not suggesting that's normal tho!)
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I really hope it isn't months, this will be my first job and I haven't been given a start date, I don't know whether this is normal.
It won't be months....my work place is just weird like that. Most people get their contracts within a week or two so if you don't get it by next week, give HR a call. Have you checked that they haven't emailed it to you btw?
K.Plain12
Rep:
They haven't emailed, she said she'd ring me but I haven't heard anything. would I call the manager via the shop? since that's how she has been contacting me or find HR's number?
Thank you for helping.
(Original post by harrysbar)
It won't be months....my work place is just weird like that. Most people get their contracts within a week or two so if you don't get it by next week, give HR a call. Have you checked that they haven't emailed it to you btw?
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They haven't emailed, she said she'd ring me but I haven't heard anything. would I call the manager via the shop? since that's how she has been contacting me or find HR's number?
Thank you for helping.
You're welcome and in your case, I would phone the manager directly
K.Plain12
Rep:
That eases my worries, thank you. She did mention start date would be in a week or two and she didn't ask for references. I've been doing some research online and I've come across verbal job offers are "nothing" without a written contract which is slightly worrying.
Xarao
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That eases my worries, thank you. She did mention start date would be in a week or two and she didn't ask for references. I've been doing some research online and I've come across verbal job offers are "nothing" without a written contract which is slightly worrying.
I would definitely call them up 3 days before the start date and make sure. Also, be wary of your junk email as I had some accepted job offers go through their for some bizarre reason.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That's not true. A contract comes into effect if both parties act as if there is a contract. So if they ask you to work 9-5 Monday to Friday and you turn up and work 9-5 Monday to Friday, there is a contract, regardless of exchange of paperwork. However, it's better to have a written contract, because it explains details in advance of situations arising, ie about leave, overtime, etc and everyone understands what they have agreed to.
Xarao
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
That's not true. A contract comes into effect if both parties act as if there is a contract. So if they ask you to work 9-5 Monday to Friday and you turn up and work 9-5 Monday to Friday, there is a contract, regardless of exchange of paperwork. However, it's better to have a written contract, because it explains details in advance of situations arising, ie about leave, overtime, etc and everyone understands what they have agreed to.
Actually it is true. A verbal contract doesn't mean much. They can as easily withdraw the offer if they chose to do so. The worry here is that he doesn't know when it'll start hence why he said "a week or two". If they both confirmed what day to start, sure that'd make a little sense but he hasn't received that so far.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Actually it is true. A verbal contract doesn't mean much. They can as easily withdraw the offer if they chose to do so. The worry here is that he doesn't know when it'll start hence why he said "a week or two". If they both confirmed what day to start, sure that'd make a little sense but he hasn't received that so far.
There is a difference between the academic argument of law and what actually happens. If you sign an employment contract today, to start work in a months time, between now and the time you turn up for work on day 1 either party can cancel the contract. In theory, it's a breach of contract, in practice there is zero chance of either party taking any legal action against the other. So in practical effect, there is no more or less protection by rushing to sign a contract in advance of day 1.

However, there is plenty of law to show that if both parties act as if there is a contract, then a contract is formed, whether or not there is a signed document.

It's far from ideal not to have a written contract, but the employee should not worry about not receiving a contract before they start the job, unless of course they have negotiated specific contractual terms.

You can, and very often do, negotiate a start date before a contract has been signed. The two are usually unrelated.
K.Plain12
Rep:
Thank you, she didn't give an exact date just a rough estimate. Thank you for the advice!
(Original post by Xarao)
I would definitely call them up 3 days before the start date and make sure. Also, be wary of your junk email as I had some accepted job offers go through their for some bizarre reason.
K.Plain12
Rep:
Great! Thank you, I just dont want them to say I haven't got the job even though they've offered it to me.
K.Plain12
Rep:
There is a difference between the academic argument of law and what actually happens. If you sign an employment contract today, to start work in a months time, between now and the time you turn up for work on day 1 either party can cancel the contract. In theory, it's a breach of contract, in practice there is zero chance of either party taking any legal action against the other. So in practical effect, there is no more or less protection by rushing to sign a contract in advance of day 1.

However, there is plenty of law to show that if both parties act as if there is a contract, then a contract is formed, whether or not there is a signed document.

It's far from ideal not to have a written contract, but the employee should not worry about not receiving a contract before they start the job, unless of course they have negotiated specific contractual terms.

You can, and very often do, negotiate a start date before a contract has been signed. The two are usually unrelated.
Is it possible for the company to retract the job offer without saying? considering this is a well known company (Co-op)?
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is it possible for the company to retract the job offer without saying? considering this is a well known company (Co-op)?
Well it's possible, but why on earth would they? All they'll have is someone pestering them. Why do you think they've suddenly changed their mind about needing a new employee? A week simply isn't long for the Co-op to send out a contract.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by person online)

Good luck
I agree.
Call them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads