The Student Room Group

MSc Conflict/IR @ Essex/UCL/Durham?

Considering doing an MSc in CR or IR at Essex before doing a PhD. I've already got a research proposal in mind but haven't got the advanced quant skills to do the practical research. The proposal would involve a great deal of data analysis/modelling so I'm not sure which uni offers the best support/supervision for that sort of research.
Any advice?

These are the programmes I'm considering:
MSc Conflict Resolution/IR @ Essex (great research output/supervision/focus on peace studies/strong quant focus)
MSc Security Studies @ UCL (great research output/data analytics dept/focus on security)
MSc Conflict Prevention & Peacebuilding @ Durham (good research output/unsure about eveything else)

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of interdisciplinary research using data analytics across the universities in the UK. If anyone has got suggestions or knows of any projects involving data analysis in a conflict/peace process setting please let me know!
I would rule out Durham right away if it doesn't give you exposure to the skills you need to develop. Not sure what you mean by good research output? Is your proposal more focused on peace or security?
Original post by SueKH
Considering doing an MSc in CR or IR at Essex before doing a PhD. I've already got a research proposal in mind but haven't got the advanced quant skills to do the practical research. The proposal would involve a great deal of data analysis/modelling so I'm not sure which uni offers the best support/supervision for that sort of research.
Any advice?

These are the programmes I'm considering:
MSc Conflict Resolution/IR @ Essex (great research output/supervision/focus on peace studies/strong quant focus)
MSc Security Studies @ UCL (great research output/data analytics dept/focus on security)
MSc Conflict Prevention & Peacebuilding @ Durham (good research output/unsure about eveything else)

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of interdisciplinary research using data analytics across the universities in the UK. If anyone has got suggestions or knows of any projects involving data analysis in a conflict/peace process setting please let me know!
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for replying, I didn't see your reply earlier. By 'good research output' I mean the REF 2014/2019 rankings, quality of articles/projects produced by the relevant department/professors/grad students.My proposal is more peace-process focused but takes into consideration the independent variables across different conflicts including security.I've since received an offer from Essex for both Conflict Resolution and IR a scholarship but UCL is starting to seem more attractive bc of the overall reputation and name recognition. Do you think I should be shelling out more money for the name of the uni if the two unis are mostly on-par research-wise?
Original post by SueKH
Hey, thanks for replying, I didn't see your reply earlier. By 'good research output' I mean the REF 2014/2019 rankings, quality of articles/projects produced by the relevant department/professors/grad students.My proposal is more peace-process focused but takes into consideration the independent variables across different conflicts including security.I've since received an offer from Essex for both Conflict Resolution and IR a scholarship but UCL is starting to seem more attractive bc of the overall reputation and name recognition. Do you think I should be shelling out more money for the name of the uni if the two unis are mostly on-par research-wise?

The REF results mean little to students as a lot of people returned in the REF may not teach. And no names mean little. Go where is best suited to your academic interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending