Christ0Montana
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi there,

beeing admitted to both programs, i now face the difficulty of deciding between two excellent options. Imperial sadly did not offer me a place for their BA course. I am a German and plan to work in Germany after concluding my master, so i dont worry about London city Placement

My thoughts so far:

UCL
+ its cheaper (15k)
+ its in London (nice to live there)
+ its more marketing and Operations focussed
+ i think the UCL Brand name carries better than Warwick

- London living expenses
- the programm is pretty new, but alumni seem to place quite well in industry and in consulting
- only offers two electives
- UCL Management School is not really as much of a reputable Institution compared to Imperials Business School, LSE, LBS oder Oxford Said Business school for example

Warwick
+ It is ranked better in ft rankings and QS rankings
+ Warwick is known for its excellent Business School and supply chain department
+ it offers 4 elective courses, making it more flexible

- more Expensive (i got a 7k Scholarship, tuition still ist ~21k)
- Coventry might get boring
- Its not a G5 Brand name
- Its more programming and maths focussed with minimal business context from what i read into the online description of the courses

Any Help or insights from alumni is highly appreciated. Thank you!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Christ0Montana)
Hi there,

beeing admitted to both programs, i now face the difficulty of deciding between two excellent options. Imperial sadly did not offer me a place for their BA course. I am a German and plan to work in Germany after concluding my master, so i dont worry about London city Placement

My thoughts so far:

UCL
+ its cheaper (15k)

- London living expenses
- the programm is pretty new, but alumni seem to place quite well in industry and in consulting
- UCL Management School is not really as much of a reputable Institution compared to Imperials Business School, LSE, LBS oder Oxford Said Business school for example

Warwick
+ Warwick is known for its excellent Business School and supply chain department

- Its more programming and maths focussed with minimal business context from what i read into the online description of the courses

Although both courses seem the same, they aren't and are in fact two separate roles. Data Analytics is more technical than the other in terms of technical skill set as a data analyst would be doing hands-on data cleaning, data purging, finding correlations etc. Business analytics on the other hand, is kind of more process-oriented / functional role where a business analyst would be looking into the day to day operations of the company. A CEO/CMO won’t understand what correlation is or what variables are really having a weightage on the transform function, hence business analyst should be able to interpret the data analyst terminologies and transom them to be presentable to their respective heads. A business analyst would also look into optimising and would also be the one to call the shorts for upgrading/optimising any models in the company/campaign.

Let's take an example: suppose we have a study where a telecom company needs to segregate their customers in order find the unwanted customers or let’s just say the churn rate:

- a business analyst would ask the developers to build models by giving them all the data they require and then try to evaluate which model describes the best;
- data analyst would be taking care of cleaning the data, transforming the data so that it could fit good enough for the model, tweaking the model for better results, building visual outputs so as to make the model easily understandable.

Hopefully this will help you decide which course to choose based on these two roles (along with other variables like tuition fees).
Christ0Montana
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Although both courses seem the same, they aren't and are in fact two separate roles. Data Analytics is more technical than the other in terms of technical skill set as a data analyst would be doing hands-on data cleaning, data purging, finding correlations etc. Business analytics on the other hand, is kind of more process-oriented / functional role where a business analyst would be looking into the day to day operations of the company. A CEO/CMO won’t understand what correlation is or what variables are really having a weightage on the transform function, hence business analyst should be able to interpret the data analyst terminologies and transom them to be presentable to their respective heads. A business analyst would also look into optimising and would also be the one to call the shorts for upgrading/optimising any models in the company/campaign.

Let's take an example: suppose we have a study where a telecom company needs to segregate their customers in order find the unwanted customers or let’s just say the churn rate:

- a business analyst would ask the developers to build models by giving them all the data they require and then try to evaluate which model describes the best;
- data analyst would be taking care of cleaning the data, transforming the data so that it could fit good enough for the model, tweaking the model for better results, building visual outputs so as to make the model easily understandable.

Hopefully this will help you decide which course to choose based on these two roles (along with other variables like tuition fees).
Thank you for the elaboration. I would see myself rather in the place of a business analyst, trying to bridge my existing knowledge in Management, Marketing, Sales and Finance with data driven insights.

That beeing said, as both MAsters are called "Business Analytics", do you think they both cater rather towards the role of a Business Analyst vs. a Data Scientist/Analyst?
farhaan94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi there, I got accepted to both courses as well. I ended up choosing UCL as the modules were more aligned with what I wanted to learn and the course was cheaper too. In the end, I would prioritise what you wish to learn above all.

If you do decide on UCL let me know we can connect!
Hi there,

My thoughts so far:

UCL
+ its cheaper (15k)

- London living expenses

Warwick

username4626040
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey guys!
How long after the interview did you receive the offer?
(Original post by farhaan94)
Hi there, I got accepted to both courses as well. I ended up choosing UCL as the modules were more aligned with what I wanted to learn and the course was cheaper too. In the end, I would prioritise what you wish to learn above all.

If you do decide on UCL let me know we can connect!
farhaan94
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
For UCL? About 3 weeks after the interview.
(Original post by alid_3995)
Hey guys!
How long after the interview did you receive the offer?
username4626040
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks for the reply!
I had my interview last week but I'm already feeling very nervous
For UCL? About 3 weeks after the interview.
farhaan94
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hope it all works out, I felt the same! Just got to wait it out. Best of luck
(Original post by alid_3995)
Thanks for the reply!
I had my interview last week but I'm already feeling very nervous
username4626040
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks
Hope it all works out, I felt the same! Just got to wait it out. Best of luck
andrewpo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello All,

Congratulations!

Can you please advise me what kind of questions you were asked in the interview?

Thanking you in advance!
mba1413
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there,

My thoughts so far:

UCL
+ its cheaper (15k)

- London living expenses

Warwick

UCL School of Management is the successor of UCL department of management established in 2007, so with almost 12 years of experience I wouldn't necessarily say it is less reputable compared to Imperial (established in 2004). That being said, I don't think the department plays a major point in the program, people are really more drawn to just your uni and perhaps your degree specialization.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (273)
66.1%
No (140)
33.9%

Watched Threads