The Student Room Group

Single girl wearing ring on engagement finger to fend off unwanted attention

I’ve never done this before, but I once heard a girl saying she does it and I thought it was over the top.

However, I’m now having second thoughts. I just thought about this, as I’ve just emailed a guy who is high up in one of our local organisations. I’m needing a favour in order to set up a community event. My previous experience of trying to connect with men on a business and professional level is that they end up trying it on. So perhaps wearing a ring isn’t such a bad idea. Do people have any thoughts?
Most men back off when they see a ring. Some crazy ones still shoot their shot, but they are in the minority.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Most men back off when they see a ring. Some crazy ones still shoot their shot, but they are in the minority.

Thanks for responding. Well I guess it will be a good idea to get a ring.
Reply 3
I know of girls who do it. Not overly common, but certainly happens.
How much attention do you really get?
I do this in certain situations. I already wear my aunt's engagement ring (her ex refused to take it back when they broke up so she gave it to me) so I just move it to a different finger. 🙃
Reply 6
A lot. I’m not bothered when it’s a random guy on the street. That attention is easy to ignore.

Attention becomes a problem when trying to establish professional relationship with someone.

Original post by Notoriety
How much attention do you really get?
Reply 7
How cool! I’ve never been a ring wearer, so I have to buy one.
Original post by sinfonietta
I do this in certain situations. I already wear my aunt's engagement ring (her ex refused to take it back when they broke up so she gave it to me) so I just move it to a different finger. 🙃
Original post by Fruli
A lot. I’m not bothered when it’s a random guy on the street. That attention is easy to ignore.

Attention becomes a problem when trying to establish professional relationship with someone.

If you slide into my DMs, I can tell you how to avoid unwanted attention from males.
Reply 9
😂😂😂 whatever you need to tell me, you can tell me on this thread.
Original post by Notoriety
If you slide into my DMs, I can tell you how to avoid unwanted attention from males.
Original post by Fruli
😂😂😂 whatever you need to tell me, you can tell me on this thread.

Lass didn't get the joke, but alright.
I mean it's worth a try. It's a shame that your previous experience with businessmen hasn't gone according to plan, it's unfair that people try to take advantage of you. If you think it will help deter unwanted advances then go for it. Might be worth coming up with a back story just in case questions are asked!

Lucy
Reply 12
Unlikely to be very effective as most guys wouldn't even realise it is an engagement ring. Probably better to frequently mention your imaginary fiancé. You could even throw in that he is county kick boxing champion.
In theory that sounds like a very effective idea, but it would be unnecessary in most situations.
I've heard you get approached more especially by other married men thinking you might be up for some fun...
Reply 15
My (male) mate used to wear a ring for the same reason.
Reply 16
Yep. It’s usually married men. Strange that 🙄
Original post by snugglebear
I've heard you get approached more especially by other married men thinking you might be up for some fun...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending