A Levels 2019 - How much revision per day? Watch

liv.h19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there!

My A Levels begin 2 weeks today. I have been writing my revision notes since about December 2018. Whenever I was off school and writing notes/making revision cards I would find myself revising for 9 hours every day (10am-9pm with four 30 min breaks).

However, since I have finished all my revision cards now, and it is just down to learning them, I have probably dropped to about 5 hours a day as I struggle to fill 9 hours of just reading and doing past papers.

I was wondering how many hours you guys have been doing? Also, do you guys feel prepared for our exams to begin? I am still absolutely terrified!

Thank you
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Im doing about 7 hours a day...but i revise really slowly so i feel like everyday im not really getting much done
liv.h19
Rep:
?
Yeah, I always aim for about 8 hours but after around 5 I feel like I have done everything I could. However, I still feel guilty considering I'm used to doing about 9 per day. Also since I am not writing notes anymore I feel quite unproductive as most of the time I can't physically see how much I have done. For example, when I was still doing notes, I could see that I had done 3 topics but now it's just reading them and hoping they stick in my head!
(Original post by dx31)
Im doing about 7 hours a day...but i revise really slowly so i feel like everyday im not really getting much done
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
During the Easter holidays, I was getting 8/9/10 hours per day done, but at weekends these days I struggle to get more than 5 or 6 hours done per day.
liv.h19
Rep:
?
I'm exactly the same!

During Easter holidays I would fit in 9 hours at least, and was really motivated to do so. But since I have gone back to sixth form, it's been difficult to fit in as much revision on weekends because we also have revision for lessons at school.

I hope I'm doing enough :confused:
(Original post by 782446389)
During the Easter holidays, I was getting 8/9/10 hours per day done, but at weekends these days I struggle to get more than 5 or 6 hours done per day.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just freak out
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
oh lawd help me yall doing 9 hours a day and things, while I'm here struggling to even do 3 hours of solid revision a day
billie216
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i used to do 6 hours on a school day and 9 hours on a weekend but now i only do 4 hours because i learned to revise more effectively instead of just making notes and reading them.
liv.h19
Rep:
?
Any tips?
(Original post by billie216)
i used to do 6 hours on a school day and 9 hours on a weekend but now i only do 4 hours because i learned to revise more effectively instead of just making notes and reading them.
liv.h19
Rep:
?
It probably depends on how you learn! Heck, I know people who can read a page once, remember it and get 95-100% in an exam. Oh, how I wish it was like that!
(Original post by ibyghee)
oh lawd help me yall doing 9 hours a day and things, while I'm here struggling to even do 3 hours of solid revision a day
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My brother did his A-levels a few years ago, and his school advised him to aim for five hours per day during the Easter Holidays. If I'm honest, I think it's more about the quality of the time you spend than the quantity. Spending a productive five hours is better than spending an unproductive ten hours when it comes to revision. I can completely understand where you're coming from when you say you hope you're doing enough. You have to remember that everyone in the country is in the same boat. We're all really stressed at this time.
(Original post by liv.h19)
I'm exactly the same!

During Easter holidays I would fit in 9 hours at least, and was really motivated to do so. But since I have gone back to sixth form, it's been difficult to fit in as much revision on weekends because we also have revision for lessons at school.

I hope I'm doing enough :confused:
liv.h19
Rep:
?
This makes me feel better! I think the bad thing about A Level is, no matter how much you do, or how prepared you feel, there's always something you could've done more of. I guess it is just knowing when to stop and hoping you did as best as you could!
(Original post by 782446389)
My brother did his A-levels a few years ago, and his school advised him to aim for five hours per day during the Easter Holidays. If I'm honest, I think it's more about the quality of the time you spend than the quantity. Spending a productive five hours is better than spending an unproductive ten hours when it comes to revision. I can completely understand where you're coming from when you say you hope you're doing enough. You have to remember that everyone in the country is in the same boat. We're all really stressed at this time.
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It probably depends on how you learn! Heck, I know people who can read a page once, remember it and get 95-100% in an exam. Oh, how I wish it was like that!
I hope so, cuz I need to get dem grade As. In your opinion whats the best way to revise physics or maths? if you do them.
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Active revision will help reduce studying time - making mind maps of the topic from memory, writing down a few prompts/ questions to answer and then testing yourself. Stuff like that forces you to remember and also shows you what you actually know and what you don’t. If you’re just writing notes you might think you don’t know the topic well but if you actually test yourself on it you’ll realised you know a lot.
Levi23317
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Probably about 3 hours day (then occasionally nothing at all) amd started in the easter holidays.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Levi23317; 3 months ago
liv.h19
Rep:
?
I hope so, cuz I need to get dem grade As. In your opinion whats the best way to revise physics or maths? if you do them.
I do Maths, and the best way forward is literally just past papers and textbook questions. I learnt that the hardway (by making lovely pretty Maths notes and then getting an E in a mock) that the only way to learn Maths and to hit top grades is practice papers. I know it is really hard since we are the first year through the new spec, but your teachers will have access to specimen papers etc. that you can do.

Also, PRAY that we get good questions!!
billie216
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Any tips?
Do exam questions (instead of entire papers) and mark them as soon as you've answered them to see where you went wrong. For things like science i watch freesciencelessons and instead of making notes straight away ill come back in an hour and see what i memorised and https://www.gcsesciencerevision.com/ this website is good and has lots of exam questions. For English, I watch Mr bruff and i'll go through bbc bitesize and just read whats on there and ill make a full page summary. For maths i use https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers.html and i do the same thing i do for science and anything I don't understand i would just go on youtube and look for some videos, I do make revision cards but only on things that i don't understand. hope this helped xx
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do Maths, and the best way forward is literally just past papers and textbook questions. I learnt that the hardway (by making lovely pretty Maths notes and then getting an E in a mock) that the only way to learn Maths and to hit top grades is practice papers. I know it is really hard since we are the first year through the new spec, but your teachers will have access to specimen papers etc. that you can do.

Also, PRAY that we get good questions!!
I've done alot of papers on maths. Physics, i've probz only done a few ppqs. Like I wanna do it, but I need stress in me to force me. But I CANT GET STRESS. 20th may is my first exam and I'm still like, you know it all. But my brain is like, "*checks memory* ye you still don't know ****". but still don't get stress so I'd be forced to revise. How does one purposely get stressed? LOL
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe try using RAG sheets. Basically, write down every unit of your courses and colour code them (red, amber or green) depending on how well you understand them. That will give you a visual representation of how good you are on each topic. Don't go overboard with it, though. I get that some stress can help you work, but don't stress out too much.
I've done alot of papers on maths. Physics, i've probz only done a few ppqs. Like I wanna do it, but I need stress in me to force me. But I CANT GET STRESS. 20th may is my first exam and I'm still like, you know it all. But my brain is like, "*checks memory* ye you still don't know ****". but still don't get stress so I'd be forced to revise. How does one purposely get stressed? LOL
liv.h19
Rep:
?
My first exam is the 20th May too and I'm doing the exact same thing by accidentally convincing myself I know more than I actually do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%