The Student Room Group

Frenchh

I have already asked this before but no one replied so hopefully someone would know....

Okay tell me if this is correct because it was in my school French booklet which tends to have mistakes + if this is correct, can you tell me why please:
on se lève tôt = we get up early
on s'est levé tôt = we got up early
Why does the accent change places???? Also, I know this is correct but why does est go after the s' , shouldn't it be before???
Original post by tugceerten
I have already asked this before but no one replied so hopefully someone would know....

Okay tell me if this is correct because it was in my school French booklet which tends to have mistakes + if this is correct, can you tell me why please:
on se lève tôt = we get up early
on s'est levé tôt = we got up early
Why does the accent change places???? Also, I know this is correct but why does est go after the s' , shouldn't it be before???

Levé is the past tense which is why the accent moves. The s' goes before the est due to it being past tense as well.

On est se levé wouldn't make any sense.
Okay thank you! But why isn't there just two accents rather than the one on the first e moving and changing direction??
Original post by MinaBee
Levé is the past tense which is why the accent moves. The s' goes before the est due to it being past tense as well.

On est se levé wouldn't make any sense.
Original post by tugceerten
Okay thank you! But why isn't there just two accents rather than the one on the first e moving and changing direction??

If you were to keep both the accents then the pronunciation of the word would be very different and it would lose it's meaning. You can see how accents get moved around here (look at the present and the perfect).

It is a bit confusing but that's just how the language works haha :redface:
Okay thankyooooouuuu; also is lever reflexive because that website does not show it as reflexive?
Original post by MinaBee
If you were to keep both the accents then the pronunciation of the word would be very different and it would lose it's meaning. You can see how accents get moved around here (look at the present and the perfect).

It is a bit confusing but that's just how the language works haha :redface:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending