Test for Magnesium?

ReputationRep:
    I've been told you add dilute ammonia to get a while precipitate (Of magnesium hydroxide?), but wouldn't this be the same for say...Calcium?

ReputationRep:
    never heard of that one before...maybe a flame test? (brilliant white flame)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I never heard of that before either Works fine according to Wikipedia, just I'm not sure calcium doesn't do the same :P Magnesium doesn't give off white light - it gives off some form of non-visible light (UV I think). I read that the white light is from its reaction with oxygen :P

Reminds me of my first chemistry lesson though - we were given a strip of magnesium each, and a bunsen burner. Told to do nothing with it which naturally meant try and melt the strip xD Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but unless you're burning the magnesium in a special atmosphere, when it burns it will react with oxygen present in the air, that's what combustion is. Hence the result of the flame test is just stated as a white flame. (I guess really, the results of the flame tests are the results of combusting with oxygen, but it's easier just to say burned)

ReputationRep:
    test for magnesium is add ammonia and a white precipitate forms
    (add more and if it dissolves its aluminium)
    but yeah calcium will do the same, so you do a flame test and calcium has a "brick red" (thats the textbook definition but it looks orange tbh) flame whereas magnesium doesnt change (the white flame is when you burn magnesium in air/oxygen im pretty sure magnesium doesnt have a flame test)

ReputationRep:
    If you burn magnesium in air you get a bright white flame, if you want to detect the presence of a magnesium ion in a compound this won't work as the electronic transisitons do not give out visible light. Chemical tests are silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    but yeah calcium will do the same, so you do a flame test and calcium has a "brick red"
    Oh, thanks Didn't think of testing for Calcium to show it wasn't that.

ReputationRep:
    no worries
    i accept visa, mastercard, +rep...

:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    I've been told you add dilute ammonia to get a while precipitate (Of magnesium hydroxide?), but wouldn't this be the same for say...Calcium?
    I have heard of it. It's in the edexcel book. So if you are doing edexcel learn it. (Im taking AS level too - it's for paper 3B or the practical) - the theory behind does not come until you have done A2 (does not deal with Mg directly but other transition metal with NH3 and OH-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    never heard of that one before...maybe a flame test? (brilliant white flame)

its looks white but my teacher said its 'colourless'

ReputationRep:
    burning magnesium (the solid) gives a brilliant white flame, burning a salt of magnesium (so its ion) is colourless

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2008
TSR Support Team
Poll
What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.