Poll: How to revise AQA English Language Paper 1
Read books, any books, even if they have nothing to do with the subject, like narnia or something lol :) (9)
13.43%
Past papers (tell me where to get them if you chose this) (21)
31.34%
Look back at old exams you have done before like mocks and stuff (21)
31.34%
Don't revise, if you really are good at english, it is in your blood, if not, you are screwed (16)
23.88%
carboncarbon
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello this exam is on tuesday like the 3rd and i cant find any past papers on the aqa website. im scared. most my subjects on a-level half depend on english to be an A. Where to revise? How to revise?
billet-doux
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Just read articles on the internet and try to pick out the facts and opinions. I think English is more skilled based; you can't really revise for it.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We got told to learn some technical-ish media terms as well - don't know how overly helpful it'll be though.
carboncarbon
Basically you guys are bluntly saying i cant revise for this, as if i am good at english then i will do well if not then im screwed.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by carboncarbon)
Basically you guys are bluntly saying i cant revise for this, as if i am good at english then i will do well if not then im screwed.
Erm.....slightly, yeh.

English is definitely one of those things that it helps a lot if you can naturally do it - therefore I am also screwed!
PinPin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
bitesize have good mock papers and mark schemes.

otherwise i don't think english needs too much revision, other than going over poems and practicing/perfecting the argue persuade advise and inform explain describe techniques that you should already know.
carboncarbon
(Original post by PinPin)
bitesize have good mock papers and mark schemes.

otherwise i don't think english needs too much revision, other than going over poems and practicing/perfecting the argue persuade advise and inform explain describe techniques that you should already know.
yeha im on bitesize right now, its not really like revision that i can consider revision but i guess it helps thanks
skeyy
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
does anyone know if you screw up on the literature paper, and then probably are likely to do badish on the language and okay on the media, and yet have a star coursework, is it possible to get a b????
billet-doux
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by skeyy)
does anyone know if you screw up on the literature paper, and then probably are likely to do badish on the language and okay on the media, and yet have a star coursework, is it possible to get a b????
Literature is separate from Language, therefore your grade for Literature has no effect at all on your grade for Language. Don't worry too much, I'm sure you haven't done badly! Just concentrate on your upcoming exams.
vioxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
English is one of the very few subjects where, with no revision, you can get an A*.
piece-of-me
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't revise, if you really are good at english, it is in your blood, if not, you are screwed
Kameo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what do you need to revise for paper 1?

lol
Malsy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont really know how to revise for eng because its only foundation and as long as I get all my spelling right which I know I will and dont talk rubbish like I am now then inshallah (Hopefully) Im sorted.......hopefully
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vioxx)
English is one of the very few subjects where, with no revision, you can get an A*.
That is in your opinion...

For AQA B, English is just regurgitating the notes our teacher gave us, so in fact there is lots you can do to revise, like memorising the notes. For me, English is the subject I revise most, because it is so dull :p:

Other people will get A*s without revising in a lot of subjects, so you shouldn't really make broad generalisation like that
nothingspek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Form your own responses to texts.
Thamizhan
Report 13 years ago
Don't forget to use : ; - in the exam, because you've got to use these to get 7+ out of 9 for one marking categories!!
IntrovertedExtrovert
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Thamizhan)
Don't forget to use : ; - in the exam, because you've got to use these to get 7+ out of 9 for one marking categories!!
Really?! I must remember that XD

Im basically going through the notes i have been given, trying to summarise them in my mind so i can recall them easily in the exam. Also, i am memorising answer structures and going through the types of things i am required to comment on like layout, language etc.
Jesska xD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm well i took the exam in November in year 10 and i was predicted a C but i got an A

I looked at technical terms for the poetry and wrote short paragraphs for each poem for what i thought the question could be about and compared poems using the same technique. Remember P E E L!

Point
Example
Explanation
Link back to question

For the writing tasks, its just practice really... once you have the basic structure for a letter/debate etc, it just comes naturally.

For the media texts again i did the same as the poetry.

Good luck
Fiasco
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Thamizhan)
Are you sure? If so, which section?

Wait a second, there are no 9 mark questions! -_-
Mollie_Hollie
Report 13 years ago
Does anybody have any exampler essays I could look at?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads