The Student Room Group

should i buy the switch or the 3ds to play pokemon?

Ok so im planning to binge the pokemon games after exams are over, after gen 3 (ive played them on emulators) so what should i buy? is there a version of pokemon black and white for switch? http://www.strawpoll.me/17945142

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
switch
you can still emulate Pokemon games up to black and white 2 (ds emulator) but for right now the 3ds has more Pokemon games on it than the switch
hmmmm can you tell me whats the emulator ive been using gba? thanks btw
Original post by Hasham123
you can still emulate Pokemon games up to black and white 2 (ds emulator) but for right now the 3ds has more Pokemon games on it than the switch
DraStic (works on pc and Android phones)
damn iphone 5? but also thanks dude
Original post by Hasham123
DraStic (works on pc and Android phones)

can you give me the safe site i dont want to be hacked
don't think so but then again I've never tried to download it on a iPhone
If you want to buy a Switch just to play Pokemon, wait for Sword/Shield to come out. I've been playing Pokemon on emulator for years, and not a single DS emulator (android or phone) can emulate the wireless connection, so if you want to play Gens 4 or 5, beating the E4 and all the post-game trainers is enough to complete the game in my opinion.
Original post by Coolkitkat23
Ok so im planning to binge the pokemon games after exams are over, after gen 3 (ive played them on emulators) so what should i buy? is there a version of pokemon black and white for switch? http://www.strawpoll.me/17945142

The Switch has Let's Go and the new titles, while the 3DS gets you the previous four generations of DS/3DS releases as well as access to earlier gens via Virtual Shop.

You can buy a 2DS for under £40 from CEX (3D has never been used well in the 3DS games) and then pick up used games for cheap from eBay. That should keep you going for a solid few months without ruling out buying a Switch when the time comes for Sword and Shield.
I've always felt the Pokemon games are more suited to handheld devices but it's up to you.
thanks dude :smile: will the switch probably get the previous pokemon games? i might as well get the 2ds for now..
thanks dude :smile: will the switch probably get the previous pokemon games? i might as well get the 2ds for now..

No, Nintendo confirmed they will not be adding backwards compatibility to the Switch. Best case scenario they add the old GB/GBA generations to the Switch's virtual store but even that's unlikely.
luckily ultra sun and moon works on 2ds (i hope the youtube videos arent lying) thats really stupid, cause the switch is crazy expensive. switches virtual store? I'd rather not get emulators cause im sick of paying 9.99 every year lol
luckily ultra sun and moon works on 2ds (i hope the youtube videos arent lying) thats really stupid, cause the switch is crazy expensive. switches virtual store? I'd rather not get emulators cause im sick of paying 9.99 every year lol

The 2DS is literally just a 3DS without the 3D enabled top screen, it plays the exact same games and software. Not to be confused with the DS, which is the previous generation of console and does not support 3DS games.
2/3DS all the way.

There's so much more content in them. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is cute and fun but it's nothing compared to the old games. For one you only engage in Pokémon battles with trainers and in gyms - not in the wild. :frown: Sword & Shield will no doubt be so much better but they're still a while off.
ahhhhhhh thanks! i thought 2ds was another generation before 3ds.
ahhhhhhh thanks! i thought 2ds was another generation before 3ds.

Nope, the 2DS was released as a cheaper version of the 3DS within the same generation :yep:
Reply 17
@coolkitkat23
Get EmulatorBox ds emulator for black and white,
Then buy a switch in time for Pokemon Sword and Shield coming out later this year!
Switch
Buy a Switch. You can always play 3DS Games on Citra. After exams I'll be selling my 3DS to get a Switch hopefully, as it's harder to find Switch emulators than it is to find 3DS ones.

Quick Reply

Latest