The Student Room Group

Progressing from CT2/ACCS Anaesthetics to ST3?

Just wondering if anyone out there knows about progressing between CT2 or the last year of the ACCS (parent specialty anaesthesia) to ST3. Is this a competitive process or is everyone guaranteed a post in their area if they pass the FRCA primary? I couldn’t find anything online apart from some competition ratios for “round 2”.

Thank you!!
Original post by Lightsparkles
Just wondering if anyone out there knows about progressing between CT2 or the last year of the ACCS (parent specialty anaesthesia) to ST3. Is this a competitive process or is everyone guaranteed a post in their area if they pass the FRCA primary? I couldn’t find anything online apart from some competition ratios for “round 2”.

Thank you!!

It is competitive and you are not guaranteed a post.
Reply 2
Original post by Lightsparkles

Thank you!!

No, it's a competitive application, and you can choose a completely different deanery if you like - where you currently are has no bearing on your application. You must have passed the full Primary FRCA at the time of application, which stalls quite a lot of people, and I think in general competition ratios are lower than for CT1, but there are still no guarantees of getting a post, let alone one in your desired location.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending