Murphy16
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it still worth applying to top unis (oxbridge/lse) for economics with a b in maths even if the rest of my grades are A’s

My grades are AAAAB (SQA highers) and I feel as though I just had a major off day as maths was my most strong subject.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Murphy16)
Is it still worth applying to top unis (oxbridge/lse) for economics with a b in maths even if the rest of my grades are A’s

My grades are AAAAB (SQA highers) and I feel as though I just had a major off day as maths was my most strong subject.
I believe you have virtually no chance at Cambridge and LSE as they want impeccable grades in Maths. Oxford don't do straight Economics.
Murphy16
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I believe you have virtually no chance at Cambridge and LSE as they want impeccable grades in Maths. Oxford don't do straight Economics.
What about in the economics and management course?
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What about in the economics and management course?
If you bother to look it up you will find the following:

"Candidates are required to have Mathematics to A-level (A* or A grade), Advanced Higher (A grade)..."
Murphy16
Rep:
If you bother to look it up you will find the following:

"Candidates are required to have Mathematics to A-level (A* or A grade), Advanced Higher (A grade)..."
Yes but they also say they accept AAAAB to AAAAA (which I meet) and then make offers on that and as I am still doing advanced maths next year do you think it would still be possible to get an offer, taking into consideration they also have a sort of entrance exam which has maths in it.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes but they also say they accept AAAAB to AAAAA (which I meet) and then make offers on that and as I am still doing advanced maths next year do you think it would still be possible to get an offer, taking into consideration they also have a sort of entrance exam which has maths in it.
Well, you have precisely zero chance if you don't apply! Remember that the aim is not to get 5
offers but 2 you are happy with.
Murphy16
Rep:
Well, you have precisely zero chance if you don't apply! Remember that the aim is not to get 5
offers but 2 you are happy with.
I suppose! I’ll hope for the best then, thank you.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I suppose! I’ll hope for the best then, thank you.
If you get a prediction of A for advanced highers then you have a chance.
Murphy16
Rep:
If you get a prediction of A for advanced highers then you have a chance.
I’ll just have to start beasting the past papers then
skskskskks
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

I don’t know if this is of any help but I applied and got in for Politics and Philosophy with BBB whilst they were asking for AAA. Although I’m sure my course isn’t as popular as economics at LSE I definitely reckon it’s worth a shot !
Murphy16
Rep:
(Original post by skskskskks)
I don’t know if this is of any help but I applied and got in for Politics and Philosophy with BBB whilst they were asking for AAA. Although I’m sure my course isn’t as popular as economics at LSE I definitely reckon it’s worth a shot !
No this is great! What did you get in your highers and what subjects did you take at advanced higher?
skskskskks
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I study in England so I’m guessing that’s basically the gcse and a level equivalents (sorry if that’s wrong!). My GCSE’s were reallt varied I got an 8 in English Lang, 6 in Lit, 4 in maths, B in bio, D in chem and a B in History and an F in Spanish lol. I also did a btec and got a merit. At a level I took Politics, Religious Stidies and Psychology! Hope that helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads