No, that's a necessity.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maachu_pichuu)
I'm just saying, if something economically strong and civilised like Germany fell into the hands of a mad man, what is it to stop it happening in the UK. You are right, Venezuela would be in a civil war and would eventually form a stable government.
Germany was far from economically strong in the 1920s.
maachu_pichuu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Germany was far from economically strong in the 1920s.
Why are we depending on democracy to secure our freedom? It has worked 99/100 times, when it hasn't worked the consequences have been devastating. The US founding fathers knew that eventually you would have a government which meant harm to its own people, so to protect people they insisted they were armed. We are rolling the dice here, eventually a far right government is going to come into power in the UK.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
What is to stop a far right nazi like party gaining power in the UK? If they decided to gas a minority of people, who would stop them? Why does the UK promote democracy, but not care about liberty?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what they are going to
have for lunch.Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote".

Benjamin Franklin

Why doesn't the UK give handguns to its citizens so they have absolute liberty from a tyrannical government and criminals?
1. Do you know how the Nazis gained power?
2. What makes you think there is such level of support for such people?
3. How would this group of people manage to gas group[s of other people? On what scale are you talking about? Nazi levels?
The police, security services , then legal system would stop them.
4. Why dont you think the UK cares about Liberty?
5. People dont want handguns?
6. We dont have a tyrannical government.

You are well ignorant/ crazy.
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a decent argument, giving citizens weaponry in order to prevent a tyrannical government taking freedoms. The US Constitution has this principle which is why gun ownership is so big there. Of course, this assumes a single big event that you can contest, rather than a slow drawn-out effort.

In weak democracies (German Wiemar Republic, African democracies) then you can grab power by force. But in strong democracies, you must slowly subvert it. It would take years and years, and no one would be sure it's happening until it's too late.

It would have to be done differently every time. A hitler-type figure could never take power the same way today, as too many parallels would be drawn to Hitler in 1930s-40s. It could be done though. My bet would be that it could be done slowly through technological control.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
1. Do you know how the Nazis gained power?
2. What makes you think there is such level of support for such people?
3. How would this group of people manage to gas group[s of other people? On what scale are you talking about? Nazi levels?
The police, security services , then legal system would stop them.
4. Why dont you think the UK cares about Liberty?
5. People dont want handguns?
6. We dont have a tyrannical government.

You are well ignorant/ crazy.
When law and order break down, i.e. when mass gassings are occuring, only the gun has power. No police, security service or legal system can stop a military with guns.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Why are we depending on democracy to secure our freedom? It has worked 99/100 times, when it hasn't worked the consequences have been devastating. The US founding fathers knew that eventually you would have a government which meant harm to its own people, so to protect people they insisted they were armed. We are rolling the dice here, eventually a far right government is going to come into power in the UK.
So when hasnt it worked?
When has it worked for the US?
What is the cost of easily available firearms in the US?

What nationality are you claiming to be today?
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
So when hasnt it worked?
When has it worked for the US?
What is the cost of easily available firearms in the US?

What nationality are you claiming to be today?
If the jews had guns in 1940s Germany, the holocaust would never have happened. The US is free because of guns, the government can't come into your home and drag you out (1940s Germany, 1970s Uganda etc). I know gun crime will rise, but that is a price you have to pay for liberty. Guns are not bad in the hands of good people, like knives are not bad in the hands of good people.

I'm british, but I feel the UK (and many other nations) are playing a dangerous game keeping its citizens with very little means to defend themselves.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What’s your obsession with the so called Far Right.

Name me one legitimate far right party that looks close to winning anything.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Modern values. If the majority of people suddenly had a change of heart on the topic of Nazism - then who would the minority be to overturn it?

If you support democracy only if you agree with the outcome - you don't really support democracy.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
What’s your obsession with the so called Far Right.

Name me one legitimate far right party that looks close to winning anything.
Austria
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Austria
I was talking about the U.K. Austria is a country, not a party.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
I was talking about the U.K. Austria is a country, not a party.
Austria have a far right government. Im saying, eventually it can happen to the UK. We are already drifting in that direction. Just imagine if proportional representation was put into law and the Brexit Party won a general election. The then party started breaking down like UKIP and you ended up with some numpties in charge.
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll add - if there is a necessity to overthrow a government by force due to some hostile takeover, I'm sure other countries would jump to support, and the black market will be available as always. Any laws imposed previously will become irrelevant. This all assumes a major shift in ideology, which hyperbole is an understatement for.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Modern values. If the majority of people suddenly had a change of heart on the topic of Nazism - then who would the minority be to overturn it?

If you support democracy only if you agree with the outcome - you don't really support democracy.
Citizens need a means of self defence, the UK fails in that regard.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
If the jews had guns in 1940s Germany, the holocaust would never have happened. The US is free because of guns, the government can't come into your home and drag you out (1940s Germany, 1970s Uganda etc). I know gun crime will rise, but that is a price you have to pay for liberty. Guns are not bad in the hands of good people, like knives are not bad in the hands of good people.

I'm british, but I feel the UK (and many other nations) are playing a dangerous game keeping its citizens with very little means to defend themselves.
You are clearly ignorant of how Hitler came to power otherwise you wouldnt make such ridiculous assertions. Armed or not the jews were not in any way capable of standing up to the German nation. Why would the Germans have let them arm themselves.
What level have you studied History to?

The US is free because it can maintain its own defence. Nothing to do with some of its citizens being armed.

There is no threat to UK citizens. We would rather not have a murder rate many times higher and lots of mass shootings.
There is no demand for citizens wanting guns. there is a consensus that we dont want higher murder rates and school shootings.
Highly doubt you are British or have studied History to any level.

Get back to infowars.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
I'll add - if there is a necessity to overthrow a government by force due to some hostile takeover, I'm sure other countries would jump to support, and the black market will be available as always. Any laws imposed previously will become irrelevant. This all assumes a major shift in ideology, which hyperbole is an understatement for.
Why are we depending on the kindness of strangers? If we don't have the means to overthrow our own tyrannical government, what does it say about our nation?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
When law and order break down, i.e. when mass gassings are occuring, only the gun has power. No police, security service or legal system can stop a military with guns.
Law and order hasnt broken down. You are a fantasist.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
You are clearly ignorant of how Hitler came to power otherwise you wouldnt make such ridiculous assertions. Armed or not the jews were not in any way capable of standing up to the German nation. Why would the Germans have let them arm themselves.
What level have you studied History to?

The US is free because it can maintain its own defence. Nothing to do with some of its citizens being armed.

There is no threat to UK citizens. We would rather not have a murder rate many times higher and lots of mass shootings.
There is no demand for citizens wanting guns. there is a consensus that we dont want higher murder rates and school shootings.
Highly doubt you are British or have studied History to any level.

Get back to infowars.
You don't value your freedom, because it has never been taken away from you. God forbid if it is ever, then you will remember this conversation.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
By right wing party I assume you are referring to the Brexit party.

The Brexit party is not a far right Nazi like party. And they will not segregate people.
You're the first person who's said ''Brexit party'' and ''far right Nazi like party'' in the same sentence in this thread y'know >.>
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (137)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
18.23%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.05%

Watched Threads