Strange notation in mark scheme Watch

sarahdlondon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Can anyone explain the mark scheme for Q5 of AQA MPC3 2018 . The answer for part (a) (ii) is given is x ...1 instead of using an inequality symbol. The same is true of part (b) where the answer is given as g(x) ...-4 (instead of using the inequality symbol for greater than or equal to. I've never come across this "...." notation in use of defining domains or ranges. Note, if you didn't use it, you would lose a mark, so that would be two marks lost for this question. Any explanations gratefully received!!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sarahdlondon)
Can anyone explain the mark scheme for Q5 of AQA MPC3 2018 . The answer for part (a) (ii) is given is x ...1 instead of using an inequality symbol. The same is true of part (b) where the answer is given as g(x) ...-4 (instead of using the inequality symbol for greater than or equal to. I've never come across this "...." notation in use of defining domains or ranges. Note, if you didn't use it, you would lose a mark, so that would be two marks lost for this question. Any explanations gratefully received!!
This isn't any standard notation. I think this is just a typesetting problem with the mark scheme and there are meant to be inequality signs there.

Someone couldn't read someone else's writing.
sarahdlondon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
This isn't any standard notation. I think this is just a typesetting problem with the mark scheme and there are meant to be inequality signs there.

Someone couldn't read someone else's writing.
Thanks for responding, that's what I thought at first, but the mark scheme definitely states a difference - you only get the 3 marks available for the g(x) ... - 4 (compared with 2 marks for g(x) [more than or equal to symbol] -4). The examiner's report also seemed to infer that many students hadn't used the correct notation (presumably the "....") and therefore hadn't got full marks.
See below (cut and pasted from mark scheme for Q5 (b)); note, the middle line SC2 should have a "greater than or equal to" symbol but this has not cut and pasted correctly from the mark scheme.

SC3for g(x)... 4 ;
SC2for g(x)> 4 or y...4 or g...4 or Range...4 or ...4
SC1for y>–4 etc

Link to the mark scheme is:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...W-MS-JUN18.PDF
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sarahdlondon)
Thanks for responding, that's what I thought at first, but the mark scheme definitely states a difference - you only get the 3 marks available for the g(x) ... - 4 (compared with 2 marks for g(x) [more than or equal to symbol] -4). The examiner's report also seemed to infer that many students hadn't used the correct notation (presumably the "...." and therefore hadn't got full marks.
See below (cut and pasted from mark scheme for Q5 (b)); note, the middle line SC2 should have a "greater than or equal to" symbol but this has not cut and pasted correctly from the mark scheme.

SC3for g(x)... 4 ;
SC2for g(x)> 4 or y...4 or g...4 or Range...4 or ...4
SC1for y>–4 etc

Link to the mark scheme is:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...W-MS-JUN18.PDF
I'd looked at the paper and markscheme.

The SC2 line with the apparant greater than or equals sign is actually two greater than signs misaligned if you look closely. Which lends more support to the idea these are just typos. Not seen the examiner's report though.

https://imgur.com/a/gC7aoS0

See the link, rather than the image below which is too small.
Attached files
Last edited by ghostwalker; 2 weeks ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 weeks ago
OK, seen the Examiner's Report now, and it's not enlightening, IMO. In fact it really looks like a first draft, rather than anything well considered, so I don't have any confidence in it with regard to infering details.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (353)
30.7%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (198)
17.22%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.09%

Watched Threads