Easy probability question Watch

Maths23xp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There are 20 questions.

8 questions will appear in an exam.

I must choose 3 of those 8 questions to answer in the exam.

I have 2 weeks to prepare.

What is the minimum amount of questions I must revise in order to ensure I can answer 3 of these questions in the exam?
Last edited by Maths23xp; 1 month ago
googie3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The minimum number of questions you must revise over the two weeks is 20 since any 8 of the 20 questions can appear and you can do any 3 of them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by googie3; 1 month ago
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maths23xp)
There are 20 questions.

8 questions will appear in an exam.

I must choose 3 of those 8 questions to answer in the exam.

I have 2 weeks to prepare.

What is the minimum amount of questions I must revise in order to ensure I can answer 3 of these questions in the exam?
I think you can work this out yourself. E.g. if you revise 10 of the questions then all 8 questions could be ones that you haven't revised. So that wouldn't guarantee it.

What about 11, 12, etc.?
Maths23xp
Rep:
?
(Original post by googie3)
The minimum number of questions you must revise over the two weeks is 20 since any 8 of the 20 questions can appear and you can do any 3 of them.
I am sure that is not right.

I think the answer is 15.

If I revise 15 questions - and 5 of the questions I HAVE NOT revised appear in the exam, that will leave 3 questions left which I will have revised (8 questions in total).
Maths23xp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
I think you can work this out yourself. E.g. if you revise 10 of the questions then all 8 questions could be ones that you haven't revised. So that wouldn't guarantee it.

What about 11, 12, etc.?

If I revise 15 questions - and 5 of the questions I HAVE NOT revised appear in the exam, that will leave 3 questions left which I will have revised (8 questions in total). It is these 3 questions which I must answer.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by googie3)
That's not right. E.g. if they revise 19 questions then even if that 1 question that they didn't revise comes up in the 8, they only have to choose 3 so it would be guaranteed that they have revised enough questions.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maths23xp)

If I revise 15 questions - and 5 of the questions I HAVE NOT revised appear in the exam, that will leave 3 questions left which I will have revised (8 questions in total). It is these 3 questions which I must answer.
Yes that's correct if you want to guarantee that you have revised enough questions. If you want to ensure with a high percentage (as opposed to 100%) then the question becomes a bit harder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads