NicolasV.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,
I got admitted for Strategic Communications M.A at Kings College London as well as IR and Diplomacy M.A at Leiden University in the Netherlands.
Does someone have experience with both universities or at least attended one of them and can give me a few arguments pro/contra both universities/programmes.

I know the programmes are different. The broader question is which program would be more suitable for a career in international relations.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well done for your KCL offer, that would be excellent!
Leijden, I liked a lot (I studied at UK Open University outreach in Den Haag for 4 years, whilst working in Noord Holland)

If you live in London, you'll be in a world city - amazing place, I like to order expresso coffee in Italian in Bloomsbury, nobody batted an eyelid, prego signor.
In Nederlands, you'd be speaking conversational Dutch after 3-months. I loved it, lots of people, a bit-over crowded, better in the south.

So would your application to, say, UN or EU, better be "I've studied at a prestigious British university" and liked it, or "Ik heb vier jaar gestudiered uit Leijden". (that's how I guessed/remembered my dutch - now to test with online tools - should be "Ik heb gestudeerd vier jaar in Leiden")
hopefully you already speak French/German, to get into a nice UN EU NGO job somewhere interesting, another language can only help

Oh, and Dutch pensions are much better than UK ones, but you don't need to worry about that for a few decades....
Last edited by LuigiMario; 2 years ago
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"The broader question is which program would be more suitable for a career in international relations."

and perhaps, more pertinently...

The narrower question is what or which career in international relations are you contemplating?
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"The broader question is which program would be more suitable for a career in international relations."

and perhaps, more pertinently...

The narrower question is what or which career in international relations are you contemplating?
emmaquirine
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly can say while studying at Kings in a world city, that the IR and Diplomacy M.A at Leiden University is placed in The Hague which offers you a lot of opportunities. The Hague is a big expat city so even without Dutch, you'll be able to fit right in with only English. There are also so many events in English that you don't have to worry about missing out. You are in the political capital city of the Netherlands with many organizations surrounding it, including the Peace Palace, International Criminal Court etc. that often give you the opportunity to visit them and to network. The IR and Diplomacy MA is in cooperation with the Clingendael institute which is highly known in both the academic world but also the real world with their research. It would be a dream for me to work there for example. I didn't do the MA cause it was not entirely the direction I wanted to go in, but just the fact that Clingendael institute is attached with the MA says a lot about the quality of the programme. I really did enjoy Leiden University, their administration is really good in comparison to what I have heard from other universities, and although it's quite a traditional university, the quality of teaching is really good. My BA was also in the Hague and it's really really nice to live here, and the university building is quite new and really nice. I don't know anything about Kings College, so really can't say anything about that. This was just my experience of Leiden University.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads