The Student Room Group

MA in Gender studies - SOAS vs Goldsmiths

Hi all

So, i'm about to graduate from my undergrad (English lit & Creative writing with practically all of my work focused on gender) and am considering an MA but am slightly at a loss as to which uni is better. I would ideally like to do Gender, Media and Culture, which is offered at Goldsmiths, however I am also drawn to the Gender and Sexuality course at SOAS.

Can any Alum or current students please let me know what their experiences are at either uni? I'm going to apply to both, however would ideally like some perspective.

thanks in advance!
yeah, but someone's gotta do it! 😂 + it actually really helps if you want to work for women's rights organisations

(Original post by ltsmith)
you know that degree is a meme right?
no way - if you want to work for an NGO that has anything to do with women's rights (at a higher level) then you often need a masters in a relevant field, with gender studies generally being quoted as one of the first desired degrees they want. Though, one can volunteer at women's rights organisations, generally, to get a fairly paid position a masters is seemingly a must...and also 3-5 years work in the field. So i'd ideally volunteer alongside study.
P.S - have you actually been to Goldsmiths or SOAS or......?
Original post by Kalisayswhat
no way - if you want to work for an NGO that has anything to do with women's rights (at a higher level) then you often need a masters in a relevant field, with gender studies generally being quoted as one of the first desired degrees they want. Though, one can volunteer at women's rights organisations, generally, to get a fairly paid position a masters is seemingly a must...and also 3-5 years work in the field. So i'd ideally volunteer alongside study.
Look at the course structures and see which appeals more. The Goldsmiths course is pretty flexible, allowing you to choose from a wide range of options from a number of departments, and it seems relatively open ended what you can choose, dependent on your background.

The SOAS course is a bit more focused on gender and sexuality through the lens of their specific area of expertise - Asian, African, and Middle Eastern studies (also related diasporan and postcolonial studies). Although SOAS has a fair range of disciplines represented in optional modules, they are generally much more focused specifically on gender and sexuality as they relate to, broadly, non-Western experience. SOAS also offers some socio-legal, historical, and religion focused options in gender and sexuality.

It may also be worth looking at the relevant research undertaken in the area at each university, as this tends to inform both optional module availability as well as dissertation title options. If there is a researcher at one that does work on areas very relevant to your interests, that could be a significant consideration if they supervise masters dissertations.

I am not a student at either university, however...
(edited 4 years ago)
This is extremely helpful advice, thank you very much! I'll further look into all of the advised research now. :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Look at the course structures and see which appeals more. The Goldsmiths course is pretty flexible, allowing you to choose from a wide range of options from a number of departments, and it seems relatively open ended what you can choose, dependent on your background.

The SOAS course is a bit more focused on gender and sexuality through the lens of their specific area of expertise - Asian, African, and Middle Eastern studies (also related diasporan and postcolonial studies). Although SOAS has a fair range of disciplines represented in optional modules, they are generally much more focused specifically on gender and sexuality as they relate to, broadly, non-Western experience. SOAS also offers some socio-legal, historical, and religion focused options in gender and sexuality.

It may also be worth looking at the relevant research undertaken in the area at each university, as this tends to inform both optional module availability as well as dissertation title options. If there is a researcher at one that does work on areas very relevant to your interests, that could be a significant consideration if they supervise masters dissertations.

I am not a student at either university, however...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending