A Level Physics OCR A Watch

studentbeast
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So the first exam, which is the modelling paper, is on the 20th May. Any last minute revision tips and how are you guys finding this specification? Do you find it difficult to get the marks when you're doing exam papers?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
msbx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive just been doing loads of past papers and rewriting notes. On averge im getting around 75-80% on past papers but i keep making small mistakes. What about you hows your revsion going?
studentbeast
Rep:
?
That’s really good. Revision is going alright but sometimes you can never be too sure with physics tbh. I keep getting around 70% in papers due to dumb mistakes but the mark schemes can be a bit too specific
(Original post by msbx)
Ive just been doing loads of past papers and rewriting notes. On averge im getting around 75-80% on past papers but i keep making small mistakes. What about you hows your revsion going?
msbx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What topics or areas are you finding most hard and how are you improving on them? i really struggle with internal resistance and radioactivty
(Original post by studentbeast)
That’s really good. Revision is going alright but sometimes you can never be too sure with physics tbh. I keep getting around 70% in papers due to dumb mistakes but the mark schemes can be a bit too specific
studentbeast
Rep:
?
I find some circuit questions a bit difficult, as well as some concepts in magnetic fields. Overall, I find modelling papers better than exploring. I’m doing practice exam questions on the topics I’m weakest at, so that I don’t get caught out in the real exam looool
(Original post by msbx)
What topics or areas are you finding most hard and how are you improving on them? i really struggle with internal resistance and radioactivty
etothepiiplusone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which past papers is everyone doing?

Annoyingly the textbook rips off loads of questions from the old spec so I've basically done all the past papers I have found w/o doing ones on different exam boards :/
msbx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've done all the old spec past papers from 2011 and i'm starting new spec ones now, like new spec AS and full alevel.
Im not sure if i should redo past papers ive already done after that or do more papers from before 2011? What about you?
(Original post by etothepiiplusone)

Annoyingly the textbook rips off loads of questions from the old spec so I've basically done all the past papers I have found w/o doing ones on different exam boards :/
studentbeast
Rep:
?
I've been doing past paper questions from 2011, just like msbx.
(Original post by etothepiiplusone)

PhysicsIlove
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Done the 2017 and 2018 H556 papers(our spec) and going through the H558 papers now too(from 2017 to 2009).

Should I do all of these papers from 2017 to 2009 or just 2017 to 2011 like some people in this thread, are they relevant to our new spec?

Should I do the practice papers and specimen papers or just the past papers?

Are Past papers from other exam boards worth doing or just stick to OCR A?

Pretty stressed if you can’t tell ahah
Last edited by PhysicsIlove; 1 month ago
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And what’s the difference between June series and January series are they both good to revise from?? Teacher doesn’t tell me ****
etothepiiplusone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by msbx)
I've done all the old spec past papers from 2011 and i'm starting new spec ones now, like new spec AS and full alevel.
Im not sure if i should redo past papers ive already done after that or do more papers from before 2011? What about you?
Yeah I've done most of the old spec papers that are on physicsandmathstutor and did the 2018 AS breadth paper today (did all the other AS papers last year) but it felt too easy. OCR B seems like what I'll move on to next.

(Original post by reubenmate)
And what’s the difference between June series and January series are they both good to revise from?? Teacher doesn’t tell me ****
I don't think there's much difference at all except I think the January papers were generally taken by more unserious candidates due to either being unprepared or having to retake or both. Just got that sense from the examiner's reports though
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How much did doing Past papers help?
Last edited by PhysicsIlove; 1 month ago
etothepiiplusone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhysicsIlove)
How much did doing Past papers help?
For me this was the case (+ examiner reports) but tbh I feel this way about all exams
Lperry2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I keep getting around 50% in my past papers. But we have awful teachers so my class has found it really difficult.
I use physicsandmathstutor questions for quick revision then use whatever is on Ocr website for papers.
Genuinely think I’m gonna fail but oh well
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone done the practice Questions in the book or just Past papers?
Preciousxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm doing all the past papers as well, but I'm not sure whether to compare what I'm getting in the past papers to the new spec, because the old spec was quite repetitive so I tend to just remember the answers
etothepiiplusone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhysicsIlove)
Has anyone done the practice Questions in the book or just Past papers?
I've done most of the chapter practice questions through the two year course to revise for in-class end-of-chapter tests.

I did the module 3 practice questions recently though - anyone know where the MSes are for these ? https://global.oup.com/education/con...ers/?region=uk doesn't cover them, as the 'AS practise paper 1-2' aren't the same.
etothepiiplusone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Regardless, I think most of the stuff in the book is too easy, especially for paper 3. The 2017 paper was pretty hard imo (got <70% >_>) and there was a practise paper we did for mocks that I got 70% on too, whereas I can get 90% on AS and easy paper 1s and 2s [/flex]
studentbeast
Rep:
?
Yeah the old spec is quite repetitive. I think the new spec is trying to eliminate that, although some questions do relate to others
(Original post by Preciousxo)
I'm doing all the past papers as well, but I'm not sure whether to compare what I'm getting in the past papers to the new spec, because the old spec was quite repetitive so I tend to just remember the answers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.47%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (70)
32.86%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.19%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.45%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.02%

Watched Threads