Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering if medicine was more to do with biology or chemistry. I love chem and tend to spend more time on it, but recently Iv started showing more interest in both. I haven’t done well in either throughout the year in topic tests but that’s due to laziness and lack of effort. I hope to do well in my mocks and apply though a foundation year, when it comes to actually applying for medicine. Do you think that medicine contains more biology or chemistry? Is medicine much harder then a levels or is it just learning new things?
medstudent30
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - I'm a first year medical student. There are no two ways about it that medicine is challenging but any degree is especially in your first year when you are getting used to new teaching methods and more independent studying and possibly living. What probably makes medicine differ from other courses is the vast volume of new words and concepts. However if you are willing to work hard and stay focused you will be able to succeed. Certainly in my medicine course, medicine is mainly biology based, perhaps if you are really enjoying both chemistry and biology so much you could consider biochemistry if you're not sure about medicine?
Hope this helps
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say more biology than chemistry in concept, but there is a lot of biochemistry which is more chemistry than biology. Also chemistry seems to have a higher academic standing as a A level. I was surprised to meet a medical student who didnt have Biology A level - I lent her my A level text book. In truth you probably ideally want both.
username4637870
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you suggesting that one can become a Doctor without BIO?? Maybe they were doing access course?
(Original post by Zarek)
I would say more biology than chemistry in concept, but there is a lot of biochemistry which is more chemistry than biology. Also chemistry seems to have a higher academic standing as a A level. I was surprised to meet a medical student who didnt have Biology A level - I lent her my A level text book. In truth you probably ideally want both.
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biology A level isn't strictly required for medicine, most universities want you to have chemistry A-level. It is desirable but not always required dependant on university.
Kingbradley6
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless things have changed a lot since I first applied almost 10 years ago, chemistry at A-level is the subject that is required and not biology (perhaps a few specific courses/schools may require it though - check). But in terms of similarity, the short answer is biology. Of course the longer answer goes something like medicine is it's own thing separate from biology and chemistry...blah blah.

You'll cover some very basic chemistry over the duration of the course but only briefly and not in depth (e.g. understanding local anaesthetics, acid-base balance, VERY basic calculations during pharmacy teaching). Even where it is covered, you could get by without really understanding it. There's nothing like the organic reactions, inorganic stuff you learn at A-level. I hesistate to completely understand why you need it at A-level but I'm sure there are general principles that help and that I overlooked at the time and have since bypassed when exactly some of those things help me understand the medicine I use today.

The majority of the pre-clinical aspects of the course are similar to biology in that it is learning a lot of information and just rembering it, there isn't much complexity to its understanding. Physiology is the branch that's generally closest to this. Of course once you get into the clinical aspect too, medicine becomes its own thing and then you tend to forget (as not using) that basic biology/chemistry foundation you covered briefly in the first semester of your first year.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No wasn't foundation and she had Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A level if memory serves.
(Original post by TheHollowHellion)
Are you suggesting that one can become a Doctor without BIO?? Maybe they were doing access course?
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most unis require both chemistry and biology A Levels. I was always told that the reason chemistry is a requirement for med school is because it's difficult, not because it's relevant. The course itself, at least in the pre-clinical years, is WAY more biology (cell biology, histopathology, anatomy, physiology), with minimal chemistry. In clinical you're mostly studying medicine as a discipline in its own right
Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I mean I find biology pretty interesting especially how to human body works. And do aspire to Ben a pediatrician, Which will allow me to gain knowledge within biology, aswell as work with the human body.
(Original post by medstudent30)
Hi - I'm a first year medical student. There are no two ways about it that medicine is challenging but any degree is especially in your first year when you are getting used to new teaching methods and more independent studying and possibly living. What probably makes medicine differ from other courses is the vast volume of new words and concepts. However if you are willing to work hard and stay focused you will be able to succeed. Certainly in my medicine course, medicine is mainly biology based, perhaps if you are really enjoying both chemistry and biology so much you could consider biochemistry if you're not sure about medicine?
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads