janetapple
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what are the differences between pre trial procedures and pre action protocols where bring a civil claim please
Last edited by janetapple; 1 year ago
Bitesizelaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by janetapple)
what are the differences between pre trial procedures and pre action protocols where bring a civil claim please
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I assume pre-action protocols relate to pre-action steps whereas pre-trial procedures refer to stages after proceedings have been commenced but prior to trial. What I'm not entirely certain of is whether the term 'pre-trial procedures' is wide enough to include pre-action protocols (as they are, of course, pre-trial) or if they are two distinct stages.
Bitesizelaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone else have a view on this?
(Original post by Bitesizelaw)
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I assume pre-action protocols relate to pre-action steps whereas pre-trial procedures refer to stages after proceedings have been commenced but prior to trial. What I'm not entirely certain of is whether the term 'pre-trial procedures' is wide enough to include pre-action protocols (as they are, of course, pre-trial) or if they are two distinct stages.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, would think the same.

Resident lawyers like Forum User, TimmonaPortella and nulli tertius are the people to ask.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am equally uncertain. Whilst "pre-action protocol" is a defined term in our legal system, "pre-trial procedures" is not. Therefore context is all, in deciding whether the person who used the term "pre-trial procedures" intended it to be broad enough to encompass steps taken before issue of the claim form.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Aye, would think the same.

Resident lawyers like Forum User, TimmonaPortella and nulli tertius are the people to ask.
I agree as well fwiw.

Obviously anything that is pre-action is also pre-trial, but I'm guessing that someone is trying to distinguish between pre-action conduct on the one hand and post-issue, pre-trial procedure on the other.

I'm guessing OP was looking for a direct comparison, e.g. extent of the parties'/ the court's control of the process pre action as against post issue, consequences for breach of pre-action protocols as against post-issue rules or orders, and things like that.

Maybe an undergrad procedure module? A level?

Looks like he's gone silent anyway.
janetapple
Rep:
?
Thank you for responding and bringing attention to this, I actually pretty much thought the exact same. The whole purpose from my study of pre action protocols is to settle the dispute without having to go to court, but then pre-trial in its own, you can already imagine it’s things to do before the trial(after proceedings have commenced)
janetapple
Rep:
?
Thank you all for responding and bringing attention to this, I actually pretty much thought the exact same. The whole purpose from my study of pre action protocols is to settle the dispute without having to go to court, but then pre-trial in its own, you can already imagine it’s things to do before the trial(after proceedings have commenced). Well The question literally states to ‘advise on pre trial procedures(claim on professional negligence)’ I’m thinking that should include pre action procedure as the only information I have actually found regarding the pre trial procedures are filling, submitting the form, issuing a copy to defendant , tracking e.t.c
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
I agree as well fwiw.

Obviously anything that is pre-action is also pre-trial, but I'm guessing that someone is trying to distinguish between pre-action conduct on the one hand and post-issue, pre-trial procedure on the other.

I'm guessing OP was looking for a direct comparison, e.g. extent of the parties'/ the court's control of the process pre action as against post issue, consequences for breach of pre-action protocols as against post-issue rules or orders, and things like that.

Maybe an undergrad procedure module? A level?

Looks like he's
Last edited by janetapple; 1 year ago
janetapple
Rep:
?
Steps taking before the issue of the claim form? is the claim form not the first step ?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I am equally uncertain. Whilst "pre-action protocol" is a defined term in our legal system, "pre-trial procedures" is not. Therefore context is all, in deciding whether the person who used the term "pre-trial procedures" intended it to be broad enough to encompass steps taken before issue of the claim form.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by janetapple)
Steps taking before the issue of the claim form? is the claim form not the first step ?
Definitely not.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...action_conduct
janetapple
Rep:
?
The first step after following the relevant pre action protocols I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (807)
42.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads