For computer science, should I take Chemistry SL or Design Technology (DT) SL? Watch

Casey_Lee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi! I'm currently in the last year of MYP program and choosing subjects for next year in DP. I want to study computer science in uni and I'm planning to apply to US.

The subjects I've chosen are:
Physics HL
Maths HL
Economics HL

English Lang&Lit SL
Korean SL

for the last SL subject, should I take Chemistry or Design technology?
My university counselor told me that there is no need of taking a natural science subject as computer science is not considered as natural science.

Which subject do you think universities would prefer? Also, would chemistry be helpful when studying computer science?

Thank you very much XD
Last edited by Casey_Lee; 2 weeks ago
NadeemBD777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does your school not offer computer science?
If it doesn't, do whatever you enjoy because Maths really is the most important thing for a CompSci degree, however, I would recommend doing some online courses etc just because those will show initiative and your interest.
(Original post by Casey_Lee)
Hi! I'm currently in the last year of MYP program and choosing subjects for next year in DP. I want to study computer science in uni and I'm planning to apply to US.

The subjects I've chosen are:
Physics HL
Maths HL
Economics HL

English Lang&Lit SL
Korean SL

for the last SL subject, should I take Chemistry or Design technology?
My university counselor told me that there is no need of taking a natural science subject as computer science is not considered as natural science.

Which subject do you think universities would prefer? Also, would chemistry be helpful when studying computer science?

Thank you very much XD
KirkOldskool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 hours ago
Why not try Chem HL and then do Econ SL? Maths, Physics and Chem HL is a well respected challenging package that is ideal for Comp Sci. Also it gives maximum flexibility in course choices as often students change their minds. Otherwise do DT over Chem SL imho. Chem SL unless as a compulsory sci option makes little sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (384)
25.98%
The paper was reasonable (639)
43.23%
Not feeling great about that exam (293)
19.82%
It was TERRIBLE (162)
10.96%

Watched Threads