Help with my IB choices please!! Watch

NadeemBD777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently moving from a British curriculum GCSE school to an IB school, I've got fairly decent grades:

I sat Spanish 2 years early and got an A*

I sat Maths a year early and got a 9

I'm currently about to begin Bio, Chem, Physics, English Lit, English Lang, Econ, ICT, History, French and Further Maths.

I'm on track to get good grades in all those subjects ((At least 8s in all with maybe a 7/8 or 8/8 (hopefully) for English).

And I'm really confused about what subjects to pick for IB, this is what I have so far:
HL- Maths
HL- Physics
HL- Economics
SL- Spanish B
SL- English A
SL- Global Politics

I'm interested in pursuing either engineering or finance related path at Uni, and I'm about 50/50 between the US and UK, and I'm not really considering any other countries like Canada or any European countries.

Any tips or advice on subject choices will be really appreciated...

Thanks
Last edited by NadeemBD777; 2 weeks ago
Blametheparents
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am not an expert, but looks good to me. Only possible modifications would be to consider Spanish ab initio. I know you got a good grade at GCSE, but IB can be about points scoring to a certain extent. No university will care if you have Standard or ab initio Spanish.
Also - have you considered Geography instead of Global Politics? It works well with Economics (though I take the point that GloPo does too) and it can be a good one to score highly on. Having said that I have just noticed that you are not doing geography right now so maybe it is not for you.
NadeemBD777
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thing is I am Spanish so therefore I won’t be allowed to do AB initio, and I will most likely get a 7 even for Spanish B just because it is my first language.

And as for geography, although it might be easy for points, I don’t really enjoy it and I don’t have any prior knowledge as i’ve just done basic geography in years 7-9.

Thanks for your reply though!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ctheobald
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would recommend social and cultural anthropology SL instead of global politics. It’s a very interesting subject with nicer exam papers at the end of the course. It’s also a great conversation point further down the line (careers and university/college applications) as not many people know what it is.

Also, I would strongly recommend not taking HL maths. It is extremely hard and many teachers recommend not to do it unless you got full marks at GCSE or have already done further maths. Standard math, or even studies, are just as rewarding at the end of it all.
Quick-use
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you considered doing HL Spanish and potentially doing SL Maths as Ctheobald advised against it?
NadeemBD777
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ctheobald)
I would recommend social and cultural anthropology SL instead of global politics. It’s a very interesting subject with nicer exam papers at the end of the course. It’s also a great conversation point further down the line (careers and university/college applications) as not many people know what it is.

Also, I would strongly recommend not taking HL maths. It is extremely hard and many teachers recommend not to do it unless you got full marks at GCSE or have already done further maths. Standard math, or even studies, are just as rewarding at the end of it all.
Yes but I am doing further maths and maths HL is very important for engineering
tabithas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello - 2nd Year DP student here. I would really advise not taking such intensive maths-centric courses for all three of your HLs unless you are super confident about your mathematic abilities. Especially HL maths. Maths, even further maths is a walk in the park compared to Maths HL. If you seriously need it, I recommend looking through the HL syllabus and seeing if it is achievable for you... if not you may have to take SL and find a uni that will accept it (There are more than you think). Otherwise your choices are pretty solid. For reference, I do HL History, English and Biology so I have a much different focus than you do but I achieved the equivalent of a B (I think?) in Extended Mathematics when I was your age, I take SL maths and am on a grade 4 out of 7 so... on ye head be it. I wish you all the best of luck.
NadeemBD777
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks a lot for your advice, i’ll take it into consideration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.57%
The paper was reasonable (828)
43.31%
Not feeling great about that exam (374)
19.56%
It was TERRIBLE (202)
10.56%

Watched Threads