Akolade
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello fam, please will it be easy to cross into a university to study medicine with a BTEC in medical science
FailedMyMocks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope.

You'd need to do 3 A levels in the required subjects or perhaps a foundation year.. if it is possible.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how many A-levels is the BTEC and equivalent to?
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nintysixthousand)
how many A-levels is the BTEC and equivalent to?
Why does that matter.
(Original post by Akolade)
Hello fam, please will it be easy to cross into a university to study medicine with a BTEC in medical science
No, fam.
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did a BTEC in forensic science and am in final year medicine as a postgrad at Leeds. My undergrad was in molecular and cellular biology - a lot of unis wouldn't entertain me despite my degree because I didn't have A level chemistry!
Akolade
Rep:
?
I really don't know, still working on the admission into Croydon college but that's the only option I have rn
Akolade
Rep:
?
Wow!... Actually what the school said was the btech will be for 2 years, then in the second year I can choose either applied science, forensic science or medical science... So is it that forensic science is easier to cross into medicine than medical science?
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow!... Actually what the school said was the btech will be for 2 years, then in the second year I can choose either applied science, forensic science or medical science... So is it that forensic science is easier to cross into medicine than medical science?
Nope, I would recommend medical science if you are considering medicine - I did my molecular and cellular biology degree at the time because I thought that's what I wanted to do then decided in my second year of university to go for medicine. The BTEC really reduced the number of universities I could apply to by a very large margin so it may be worth considering doing an A level chemistry. I actually did university level chemistry for 2 years and some were still very strict on the lack of A level chemistry.

GCSEs - 3 x B, 6 x A, 1 x A*
BTEC - DDD
Then 2:1 degree.
Akolade
Rep:
?
Wow.. That's great I really appreciate, so I should do my BTEC in medical science and the do an A level's in chemistry... Then boom I can apply for medicine
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow.. That's great I really appreciate, so I should do my BTEC in medical science and the do an A level's in chemistry... Then boom I can apply for medicine
I recommend if you're serious about medicine have a look at which universities you would be interested in and scrutinise their entry requirements - whilst some may take your BTEC and a chemistry A leve,l others will not accept a BTEC at all. Also bear in mind your BTEC is already worth 3 x A levels so an A level on top of it is A LOT of workload.

You will also need the relevant GCSE requirements and a good UKCAT or BMAT depending on the university. Be mindful that achieving the grades does not guarantee you a place - medicine is highly competitive with all applicants having a very high academic record - so you also need to think about how you can stand out with extra-curricular experience. Getting the grades will get your application past the first vetting stage so consider also what you will do if you do not get in on first application.
Akolade
Rep:
?
Hmmm this is deep... Thanks alot, will keep you posted on whichever step I take..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads