kongDerf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently for my A levels I would like to do Spanish and Product design. However, after reading TSR, I’m conflicted on whether or not to take ICT Btec for A level.
I do have strengths in English, especially Literature, however I cannot see myself being passionate to do it for A level.
I’m doing foundation for Science, so that’s off the list. And I’m a 5/6 for Maths, but I definitely do not want to do it for A level.
The rest of my GCSE choices were: Art, ICT (which is a gcse, not a Btec level), Spanish and Geography.

I’ve evidently chosen Art (product design) and Spanish, but is ICT Btec worth it?
(I also feel the same way about Geography like English)

Side note: My Ict grade is A and Spanish is an 8 (Art was 6/7 without the editing done to the rest of my coursework)
Last edited by kongDerf; 1 year ago
username4640730
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think before you make a decision really have a look at the course. I wish I spent more time doing that. I currently do ICT BTEC and its a lot more work than i thought it would be. we spent the first term and half looking at databases, they are harder than they look and we have a 10 hour exam in it next week. English is good to have, especially when doing the coursework and found this to be my strongest point. I do think do at least one BTEC is a good idea in any scenario as you do some of your real exam in the first year which i prefer. But like i say, its all down to preference. If you have any other questions i will happily answer for you!
kongDerf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ccarty26)
I think before you make a decision really have a look at the course. I wish I spent more time doing that. I currently do ICT BTEC and its a lot more work than i thought it would be. we spent the first term and half looking at databases, they are harder than they look and we have a 10 hour exam in it next week. English is good to have, especially when doing the coursework and found this to be my strongest point. I do think do at least one BTEC is a good idea in any scenario as you do some of your real exam in the first year which i prefer. But like i say, its all down to preference. If you have any other questions i will happily answer for you!
Thanks ever so much! Just wondering, what A Levels do you do? And how harder is English Lit compared to A Level? A lot of people have told me that my choices are very varied (in a good way, I hope D: ) and is ICT BTec worth it?
username4640730
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So along side that I do health and English language. Health was one I didnt really wanna take but here I am! Anyways. English in 6th form I see as being vastly different. Especially with language, I use a lot of the skills I learn here in with ICT. My friend does English lit and loves it as you get the option in last year to study a text of your own choosing. Or something similar to that. English is the only subject so far I've seen a noticeable jump in difficulty, but it's very interesting and I enjoy it very much.ICT is something I think will always be good have. Even if you dont want a job that's mainly around technology. Its giving basic skills you can surely use in other careers. Its basic knowledge that many other people may not have. Computers are always going to be around and knowing roughly how to use one to a decent standard should put us in a good position in the future and the technology advances even more. It just puts you in a better position I guess. But yeah, I'd say its definitely worth it. I had to choose my A levels again I would certainly still pick it.
username4640730
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My subjects are very varied too. My mates does both Englishs and media so she is quite limited in her future paths. Good job she wants to be a writer! But yeah. Gives you more scope in choices especially if your not 100% sure on what career path you want to take
(Original post by ccarty26)
So along side that I do health and English language. Health was one I didnt really wanna take but here I am! Anyways. English in 6th form I see as being vastly different. Especially with language, I use a lot of the skills I learn here in with ICT. My friend does English lit and loves it as you get the option in last year to study a text of your own choosing. Or something similar to that. English is the only subject so far I've seen a noticeable jump in difficulty, but it's very interesting and I enjoy it very much.ICT is something I think will always be good have. Even if you dont want a job that's mainly around technology. Its giving basic skills you can surely use in other careers. Its basic knowledge that many other people may not have. Computers are always going to be around and knowing roughly how to use one to a decent standard should put us in a good position in the future and the technology advances even more. It just puts you in a better position I guess. But yeah, I'd say its definitely worth it. I had to choose my A levels again I would certainly still pick it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14.18%
I'm not sure (23)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (172)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (260)
47.88%

Watched Threads