Is it possible to restore photos from an iPhone that were not backed up?

Watch
_princessxox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My phone wouldn't turn on and had the iTunes symbol displayed and so after trying to resolve it myself I took it to an apple repair.
They reset my phone and I've lost about 10,000 pictures I was sure my entire camera roll was backed up on iCloud but I've lost 6 months worth of photos. Is there anything I can do?
Edit: the back up only restored 30k out of 40k photos
Last edited by _princessxox; 10 months ago
keptinside
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Contact Apple Support Team, guess they’d be the most helpful to help. *https://support.apple.com/en-gb/contact*
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by nha.)
Contact Apple Support Team, guess they’d be the most helpful to help. *https://support.apple.com/en-gb/contact*
I did speak to someone at the store but they said probably not
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by _princessxox)
My phone wouldn't turn on and had the iTunes symbol displayed and so after trying to resolve it myself I took it to an apple repair.
They reset my phone and I've lost about 10,000 pictures I was sure my entire camera roll was backed up on iCloud but I've lost 6 months worth of photos. Is there anything I can do?
There will be a backup if you had that setting turned on. Have you checked the restore from backup option on your phone?
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by S.G.)
There will be a backup if you had that setting turned on. Have you checked the restore from backup option on your phone?
He did that for me but I did have the setting on so it makes no sense?
Probably should've added that it only restored 30k photos when it should've been 40k
Last edited by _princessxox; 10 months ago
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why did he factory reset your phone after you presumably said you didn't want to lose all your info?
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
He did that for me but I did have the setting on so it makes no sense?
So you’re saying most of the photos were restored bar the last six months? That might be because you used up all your iCloud space so they wouldn’t have been backed up.
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
Why did he factory reset your phone after you presumably said you didn't want to lose all your info?
I literally said "whatever you do please don't lose my photos"
I want to cry
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No easy way unfortunately, once that iTunes logo comes up you know you've had it. In future use Google Photos to sync your photos on.

Try seeing if the iTunes on computer recognises the device, so you can extract the photos. However, if you've got a passcode it's more than likely you won't be able to get them back yourself.
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by S.G.)
So you’re saying most of the photos were restored bar the last six months? That might be because you used up all your iCloud space so they wouldn’t have been backed up.
Yeah sorry wasn't very clear
But wouldn't it have told me that? I had no notifications saying I've used up my storage
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I literally said "whatever you do please don't lose my photos"
I want to cry
Complain to the Apple store?
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
But wouldn't it have told me that? I had no notifications saying I've used up my storage
Apple tells me I've used up my iCloud storage via email at least once a bloody week, so I think you would have received an email.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's more than likely her iCloud storage had met its limit and stopped backing up. Which is why people should back up with Google photos instead :dontknow:
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It should have. I usually have that notification on my phone constantly that my phone hasn’t been backed up due to me not having space in my iCloud. I think it appears at least 2 weeks since the last backup (from what my own phone does).

I think that’s what might’ve happened. I’m sorry about your photos.
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If it was backed up from the last available back up then what was/wasn't in that backup is clearly not Apple's fault, though it seems the 'genius' in question could have communicated a lot better...
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
That's tragic, just downloaded a photo storage app to save all my photos now that I've seen this horror story.

Damn.
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Pretty sure the 5GB free limit applies to all data (including photos).
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The issue seems to be confusion regarding the date of the last back up - the Apple genius/OP should have checked when that was before proceeding.
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Good point. I presume the backup was done via iTunes not iCloud, then.
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
Good point. I presume the backup was done via iTunes not iCloud, then.
Might have the added iCloud data for a fee which comes at 50-200GB up to 2TB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads