Worst GCSEs for Oxford... Watch

mjk27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I know it’s all about relevance and highly depends on your personal statement, written work, test etc... but what is the worst set of GCSEs that Oxford would look at? Basically the lowest grades with which you could still have a shot at Oxford. About to take my GCSEs and that’s all I can think about right now :/
(Preferably under the new system of 9-1)
Last edited by mjk27; 3 months ago
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
what subjects would you be applying for?

its not like that, there isnt a set cut off. theres other things you can do to make your application more competitive like score highly on the admissions assessment which could make you more likely to be accepted without top GCSEs. but most successful applicant have a high proportion of A*. (i dont know any other subject off the top of my head, but for medicine no one was accepted with less than 6A* (8/9=A*). this doesn't mean it isnt possible, just that no one was last year!)

if you want to go to oxbridge, arent tied to oxford, and dont get the GCSEs you want - consider applying to Cambridge. Oxford tend to weight the GCSEs more heavily and Cambridge treat applications slightly more holistically.
mjk27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you! I would most likely want to do Modern Languages (French specifically)
(Original post by sotor)
what subjects would you be applying for?

its not like that, there isnt a set cut off. theres other things you can do to make your application more competitive like score highly on the admissions assessment which could make you more likely to be accepted without top GCSEs. but most successful applicant have a high proportion of A*. (i dont know any other subject off the top of my head, but for medicine no one was accepted with less than 6A* (8/9=A*). this doesn't mean it isnt possible, just that no one was last year!)

if you want to go to oxbridge, arent tied to oxford, and dont get the GCSEs you want - consider applying to Cambridge. Oxford tend to weight the GCSEs more heavily and Cambridge treat applications slightly more holistically.
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolute worst GCSEs a Uni would be willing to accept also depends on your educational background. For instance, if most people in your school get 11 A*s, and you have 11 Cs, you don't really stand a chance. If you're the only person in your school who has ever passed a GCSE, then you're probably in.

If you live in a deprived area, they'll be more lenient, as it would have been much much harder for you to get good grades than, for instance, your average Etonian.
(Original post by mjk27)
Thank you! I would most likely want to do Modern Languages (French specifically)
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola mjk27,

You don't say what your GCSE results are. If you post this information, we will be happy to provide guidance.

Brasenose Admissions
(Original post by mjk27)
hannanas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe the OP said that they hadn't recieved their results yet.
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola mjk27,

You don't say what your GCSE results are. If you post this information, we will be happy to provide guidance.

Brasenose Admissions
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola hannanas,

Our bad! Thanks for pointing this out.

GCSE grade stress is common on the TSR Oxbridge forums and many students over-estimate what other applicants achieve. Best to wait and see what the results are. In the meantime, the lower quartile for candidates interviewed last year for Modern Languages was two 8/9s at GCSE.

Brasenose Admissions
(Original post by hannanas)
I believe the OP said that they hadn't recieved their results yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.76%
Impatient (218)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise