The Student Room Group

Police officer faces sack after ramming moped thief

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRealSquiddy
All I can say is I'm very sorry that happened.

I hope that in the future the police will do better by you.

Unlikely with WMP.
Original post by The RAR
Security guards? Are you just making stuff up or what was the situation you got yourself into exactly? You seem to despise the police, if someone commits a burglary or just any crime against you who would you call other than the police? A private detective?

Original post by Fullofsurprises
You have your own security guards? :lol:

I used to be a commercial property manager, on site at an out of town office block. Thieves on mopeds would frequent the car park looking for bikes to steal. We employed a security team.

If someone commits a burglary the police are unlikely to show up. Typically you get a crime number that you pass to your insurer. Case closed.

More likely to call friends.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
He's a rich man

Not even a man :h:
Original post by Decahedron
Not even a man :h:

*Woman

Unlikely with WMP.

I used to be a commercial property manager, on site at an out of town office block. Thieves on mopeds would frequent the car park looking for bikes to steal. We employed a security team.

If someone commits a burglary the police are unlikely to show up. Typically you get a crime number that you pass to your insurer. Case closed.

More likely to call friends.

It's completely clear that in most areas now, the police are chronically under-resourced.
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm aware that knocking down mopeds is a successful tactic but lines still need to be drawn and protocol still needs to be followed. It's there to prevent police from getting 'trigger happy', so to speak, and just hitting drivers however and whenever they feel like at whatever speed they, personally, think is acceptable.

To all intents and purposes this tactic is the only the police have to spiralling scooter crime. The sheer numbers meant that it was totally out of control and that's why it led to this desperate measure.
If the officer concerned in this case is disciplined or loses his job that will be the end of it, as no officers will carry out the practice.
Scooter crime will spiral out of control once again and the authorities will be forced to admit they don't have an answer to it.
From the Mail article, it's hard to tell why they are bringing this case against him as he was indeed following agreed protocols.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but this sounds a bit like other cases where individual police officers are pursued by the complaints people for protecting the public and dealing firmly or decisively with very dangerous criminals, often at grave risk to themselves. Eventually we reach a point where the police can no longer defend us from predatory criminality. This is already the case in many areas due to severe and ongoing budget cuts to the police.

The disciplinary prosecutors are saying the officer didn't follow the protocols for a hard stop and in particular didn't seek authority from his control room.

He is saying he didn't undertake a hard stop at all. He was undertaking a low speed boxing in maneover for which there is no agreed protocol but misjudged the scooter's speed.
Original post by Just my opinion
To all intents and purposes this tactic is the only the police have to spiralling scooter crime..

Which tactic?

The one the prosecutors say he adopted, or the one he said he adopted?

Until you answer that, you can't begin to say whether it was justified or not.
Using police cars to knock crims off scooters
Using police cars to knock crims off scooters

So you are saying that the tactic the police officer said he didn't adopt, was justified.

So do you think Barco or Ajax will win the Champions League?
To all intents and purposes this tactic is the only the police have to spiralling scooter crime. The sheer numbers meant that it was totally out of control and that's why it led to this desperate measure.
If the officer concerned in this case is disciplined or loses his job that will be the end of it, as no officers will carry out the practice.
Scooter crime will spiral out of control once again and the authorities will be forced to admit they don't have an answer to it.

Once again, I accept that the police should be using tactics like this to deal with moped thieves. However, proper protocols/rules are established for this kind of thing and the police officer in question did not follow them.
Well, just reading in the paper now, it looks like he has been cleared.

Telegraph
" The panel yesterdayruled that is action on may 21st 2017 was necessary for the application of a suspected criminal.
PC Sutton was in tears as the decision was read out"

In tears?
I'm not really surprised as he was 4 weeks from retiring after 30 years and had the decision gone against him and if he had been sacked he would have lost his job and his pension.
Even though it has gone in his favour I would be amazed if other police officers put their necks on the line like this in future.
I know I certainly wouldn't and would be happy for my employers to go back to the drawing board or admit that they don't have an answer to the problem.
Well, just reading in the paper now, it looks like he has been cleared.

Telegraph
" The panel yesterdayruled that is action on may 21st 2017 was necessary for the application of a suspected criminal.
PC Sutton was in tears as the decision was read out"

In tears?
I'm not really surprised as he was 4 weeks from retiring after 30 years and had the decision gone against him and if he had been sacked he would have lost his job and his pension.
Even though it has gone in his favour I would be amazed if other police officers put their necks on the line like this in future.
I know I certainly wouldn't and would be happy for my employers to go back to the drawing board or admit that they don't have an answer to the problem.

The IOPC has hundreds of cases against police officers, they are important to ensure the police are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
The IOPC has hundreds of cases against police officers, they are important to ensure the police are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Any investigative panel like this should also be taking account of the public interest and applying everyday common sense and an understanding of the realities of policing in the current climate, where gangs are engaged in cynical and brutal violence, using minors and the moped as a weapon of war. Unfortunately, this mock trial serves only to further undermine the ability of the police to defend the public and flies in the face of common sense, given the level of threat.

It would appear that what we have here is a group of bureaucrats run amok and accountable to nobody and indifferent to the safety of the public.
Original post by The RAR
Security guards? Are you just making stuff up or what was the situation you got yourself into exactly? You seem to despise the police, if someone commits a burglary or just any crime against you who would you call other than the police? A private detective?

If the police had come, he'd have likely just complained about the police trying to help anyway. :lol:
Any investigative panel like this should also be taking account of the public interest and applying everyday common sense and an understanding of the realities of policing in the current climate, where gangs are engaged in cynical and brutal violence, using minors and the moped as a weapon of war. Unfortunately, this mock trial serves only to further undermine the ability of the police to defend the public and flies in the face of common sense, given the level of threat.

It would appear that what we have here is a group of bureaucrats run amok and accountable to nobody and indifferent to the safety of the public.

This is not about what is in the public interest, it is a matter of ensuring police procedure is followed correctly to ensure innocent people don't get hurt. The IOPC has a duty to ensure police standards are maintained and investigated where necessary.

It is for the CPS to decide whether it is in the public's interest to prosecute.

The 17 year old that got hit broke his leg, he was not charged or even arrested. So the officer hit an innocent person.

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/panel-finds-officer-who-tried-use-his-police-car-and-public-vehicles-stuck-traffic-box-moped
Original post by jameswhughes
If the police had come, he'd have likely just complained about the police trying to help anyway. :lol:

If the police had come I would probably have a completely different outlook on the police.

*she'd (it isn't that hard).
Isn't this allowed though? I've seen other police officers do it.
This is not about what is in the public interest, it is a matter of ensuring police procedure is followed correctly to ensure innocent people don't get hurt. The IOPC has a duty to ensure police standards are maintained and investigated where necessary.

It is for the CPS to decide whether it is in the public's interest to prosecute.

The 17 year old that got hit broke his leg, he was not charged or even arrested. So the officer hit an innocent person.

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/panel-finds-officer-who-tried-use-his-police-car-and-public-vehicles-stuck-traffic-box-moped

Innocent people don’t ride without insurance and charge directly at an officer. The moped had brakes.
Original post by Andrew97
Innocent people don’t ride without insurance and charge directly at an officer. The moped had brakes.

Innocent until proven guilty.
Innocent until proven guilty.

In a court of law, this is not a court of law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending