The Student Room Group

I don't want to lose my eyesight

Okay so maybe the title is a bit too much I'm worried.
So I bought contact lenses this March and they're powered and they're monthlies, I bought them for just an event I had the next day and I know dailies would've been the perfect choice but it was a last minute buy. So from March to May now I've worn them for max 3 times. And I paid for the damn lenses and I REFUSE to throw them away after may when I've barely worn them. But the seller was like it's gonna expire after 3 months and you have to dispose them REGARDLESS of how many times you've worn them and it's just not fair.

On a personal note, after my exams I'll be going on a trip so I believe I'll need to wear them more often and I JUST DONT WANT TO THROW THEM AWAYYYY

It's not even been over used and I've kept it in the solution for days until I use them again. So is it like okay if I use it till July? I don't know I just don't wanna die or lose my eyesight. Sight is a precious gift over silly cosmetic lenses.

But I paid and it's just unfair how I haven't been able to utilize them properly.

I won't die or lose my sight right?
(edited 4 years ago)
Well, do you feel lucky?

in your case I guess the discontinuous use of a pair might have bacterial/fungal/viral growth as a limiting factor, talk to a chemist/Pharmacy - perhaps when buying a NEW cleaning solution

the 'worst' case is necrotic bacterial cornea, you get the odd report in the Daily Mail Horror story, as some rare superbug has lunch in your eye. I only wore my contacts for one ski season, as my glasses were glass, now my glasses they are all plastic lenses so I'm not so worried about the potential for glass in teh face when doing sport.

(it might have been a co-incidence but that ski-season when I wore lenses was when I met & soon after married my partner)

and that DailyWail story was about leaving lenses in overnight, reduced oxygen mobility to cornea etc, my suggestion is to buy a great official best cleaning solution, asking Mr Boots the Chemist a lot of things practically
Dispose of them.

Even when not in use you should have been replacing the saline they were in regularly (my optician recommends every 48hrs). Also, give Acanthaemoeba a read into. I know two parasitologists who are researching this and they're always stressing the importance of being careful of contact lens use in their lectures.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Each pair is for a month, if you have an unopened pair you can use it.
Reply 4
Original post by Kathy89
Each pair is for a month, if you have an unopened pair you can use it.

This is true^^^ like I have a pack of 3 monthly lenses so say in March I only wore one set of lenses twice, I can still wear it until the end of March but after that I have to dispose it. But I can decide to open my second set of lenses whenever, and from the moment I open it then I need to dispose of it a month later
Original post by dx31
This is true^^^ like I have a pack of 3 monthly lenses so say in March I only wore one set of lenses twice, I can still wear it until the end of March but after that I have to dispose it. But I can decide to open my second set of lenses whenever, and from the moment I open it then I need to dispose of it a month later

No it's like there's one pair that I can use for only 3 months.

Which I'm not going to.
Reply 6
Original post by Anneyong <3
No it's like there's one pair that I can use for only 3 months.

Which I'm not going to.

So it's a 90 days lenses and not monthlies.... it is 90 days after opening no matter how many times you have used them.
No, it's not "unfair". You chose to buy them, you didn't have to. People who buy monthly lenses generally wear them every day for a month. You're making a decision not to do that. If you only wear them on occasion then why on earth wouldn't you get the dailies? One "month" of dailies would last you ages.

Chances are you'll be fine, but is your eyesight really worth the risk over the "unfairness" of having spent a few quid that you don't feel was worth it?

Saying "it's just not fair" really makes you sound incredibly immature. You're given medical advice for very good reasons, and "fair" really doesn't come into it.

Quick Reply