The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 Physics practical

anyone here do the practical today?
how was it - also if you have the paper can you upload it here

I was in session 2 and just want to see how similar my answers were to everyone else here

Scroll to see replies

capacitor capacitance and time constant?

i got 39 for the 1st time constant (0.37 % I and 0.37x0.37 for 2RC and averaged) for 4 marks i hope

and 12 for 2nd

got a capacitance of 1150 overall if i remember right

Didnt know what to say for the oscillation y intercept question tho
Reply 2
Original post by Aj2001brah
capacitor capacitance and time constant?

i got 39 for the 1st time constant (0.37 % I and 0.37x0.37 for 2RC and averaged) for 4 marks i hope

and 12 for 2nd

got a capacitance of 1150 overall if i remember right

Didnt know what to say for the oscillation y intercept question tho

same - got 38s for first one and 12 for 2nd - I did the exact same thing for averaging except i did 1 more just to be safe

aah - they pulled a sneaky on you with the oscillation one - they were actually asking about the x intercept not the y intercept - the answer was it is equal to the original length of springs

it seems i fcked up on the last one then - a guy in my class said he also got 1200 for it

i got 90 somehow - this is what I did 1/(12/33000)= 1/C2 + 1/115*10-3

also what did you get for capacitance of the first capacitor? - as you can see I got 0.00115F
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
also do you remember what you got for the P constant? - I remember dividing 4 pi^2 by the gradient to get 10 something
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
hey man u still there?

if you are how'd you find today's test?
Awful really tbh lol
Reply 6
Awful really tbh lol

dude, same
it went absolute sh!t for me - esp the last few questions

what did you draw for the shape of the wave? - I got something resembling a hill - also what did you get for timebase? i got 5.55*10-5
Reply 7
btw how were you on time? I had to rush both practicals because of how slow i am
Physics A2 Practical today was really hard, few of my answers if anyone wanted to compare:
zero error: 0.16mA
timebase 50uscm-1
frequency: 1000Hz
CRO wave 2: 1/2 of a full wave (hill shape)
Got the same as you besides the zero error. I got 0.07mA. How did you calculate yours?
I just took the x intercept and divided that by my resistance

Also, what was your %uncertainty in cross-sectional area? I think I got 3.8% but wasn't sure if it was right
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah i used 4200 ohms instead of my own calculated resistance but I did exactly the same except that
Original post by Science22
Got the same as you besides the zero error. I got 0.07mA. How did you calculate yours?
I thought the zero error was the reading on the ametwr when v = 0 ie y intercept

Got 0.08mA from subbing in values to y=mx+c and rearraging for c
Reply 12
Original post by Benkxnnedy
Physics A2 Practical today was really hard, few of my answers if anyone wanted to compare:
zero error: 0.16mA
timebase 50uscm-1
frequency: 1000Hz
CRO wave 2: 1/2 of a full wave (hill shape)

hill shape gives me a relief; had the same pretty much
got 990Hz for frequency (so pretty much the same)
and got 5.5 (recurring) *10-5 for the TBS - I found the period by 1/1500 and then divided it by 2 and then divided it by 6.6cm (which was what appeared to be the length of half of the wavelenghts)
didn't get the zero error at all - i tried dividing y by the gradient - but something wasn't making sense

Original post by Science22

Also, what was your %uncertainty in cross-sectional area? I think I got 3.8% but wasn't sure if it was right

i just sort of extrapolated and guesstimated for the y intercept - obviously not what they wanted but i hope i can get a quality mark at least

i think i got 4.2% for uncertainty - i think i added %U of gravity that's why mine is higher

did you guys add the %U for gravity? I wasn't sure since 9.81 is a constant but i still did .01/9.81 *100 and then added that to the other uncertainties
(edited 4 years ago)
For the % uncertainty i did

2 x uncertainty for diameter + uncertainty in height + uncertainty in speed i think

for the log graph was the value you needed the gradient or the x intercept ? the one where it gave L0
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
For the % uncertainty i did

2 x uncertainty for diameter + uncertainty in height + uncertainty in speed i think

do you think we were supposed to + uncertainty of 9.81 ms-2 (g)?
Got 42.5 for the y intercept and I didn’t use the % uncertainty for g because it didn’t give us one, I got 3.6ish% for error and something x10-4 for the CSA
no defo not i dont think
Reply 17
well that sucks - they really should have made that more clear
Got 42.5 for the y intercept and I didn’t use the % uncertainty for g because it didn’t give us one, I got 3.6ish% for error and something x10-4 for the CSA

no defo not i dont think

also what did you guys get for the absolute uncertainty of the resistor? - I got like 435 ohms
Original post by 134841422
well that sucks - they really should have made that more clear
also what did you guys get for the absolute uncertainty of the resistor? - I got like 435 ohms

I got about 4500 ohms and +\- 420 ohms because 10% of 4200 is 420?
Reply 19
I got about 4500 ohms and +\- 420 ohms because 10% of 4200 is 420?

close enough - I just used my rounded up value; it probably explains the small difference

I got 4470 ohms (i'm 90% sure)

Quick Reply

Latest