The Student Room Group

depression holding me back from pursuing a career...

I don't know what I want to do for a career yet, and at 19 years old this is becoming a more pressing issue. When I've spoken to people about it, they all say basically the same, do something you enjoy, follow your passions etc etc, but there is a problem with that. I have depression (not super bad, it's not unmanageable, just inconvenient) which means that I don't particularly feel emotions or enjoy anything, so I don't have any passions. How can I "follow my passions" into a career when I don't have any passions to follow?
Any advice on how to find things I enjoy again, or how to progress with a career regardless of how I'm feeling would be appreciated.

(just as a side note, I currently work at a cinema, and I absolutely hate it, the late nights finishing at 1/2am, the low pay, the lack of progression, everything. I know I want to leave, but I don't want to spend my life jumping from minimum wage job to minimum wage job)
If you are interested in uni or apprenticeships maybe look at the type of courses they offer and talk to a doctor or mental health professional or helpline like samaritans about your depression :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest